EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Your first time...

arronizlive
One of the Coolest Member

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Soul Hunter » wrote:

In comparison with all those old dudes on this forum you're still a youngster,

With you as a friend... why would I need an enemy...
Rolling Eyes

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Soul Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« arronizlive » wrote:
« Soul Hunter » wrote:

In comparison with all those old dudes on this forum you're still a youngster,

With you as a friend... why would I need an enemy...
Rolling Eyes

I hate it when "people" only highlight want they want to.
If you've had read the full text from Artemi and my reaction you should have understood that I was complementing him on his knowledge of EM in general.

So, what's your point. Mad

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Perhaps the phrase "old dudes" is a bit of a stretcher and *might* offend someone. Personally, I think that the bulk of the people here are not old at all, they are in their middle age and that is fine. You never get the same level of discussion from youngsters.

Thanks for the compliment, Soul Hunter. Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Soul Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:13 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Artemi » wrote:
Perhaps the phrase "old dudes" is a bit of a stretcher and *might* offend someone. Personally, I think that the bulk of the people here are not old at all, they are in their middle age and that is fine. You never get the same level of discussion from youngsters.

Thanks for the compliment, Soul Hunter. Smile

From the century I date from, "dude" isn't an offensive word, in Belgium we say "h

arronizlive

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:57 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Soul Hunter » wrote:

If you've had read the full text from Artemi and my reaction you should have understood that I was complementing him on his knowledge of EM in general.

I was just quoting your signature...
Confused
"With me as a friend , you don't need enemies."

I say.
"The worst enemy lies within the self...!
Exclamation

Bye!

Last edited by arronizlive on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total

ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:35 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As one of the old dudes, I'm happy to say also that the first time I saw Pink Floyd live was when they still had Syd Barrett, and they were support for Jimi Hendrix. The Nice with Keith Emerson were on the same bill. You just don't get that sort of thing these days.

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:10 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« arronizlive » wrote:
« Soul Hunter » wrote:

You reference is NOT about age,
it's about 1st, 2nd, or 3rd class people...
that's my point.

You're so blind you cannot see...

"All those old dudes in this forum"

I consider my friends...
and it sounds as disrespectful as your limatations in understanding.

This is a small community. We may disagree and contradict each other.
but I have not seen anyone disrespectful as much as you are.

It takes some brains to be intelligent in the art of opening your mouth!
Mad

and if it weren't enough...
I was just quoting your signature...
Confused
"With me as a friend , you don't need enemies."

I say.
"The worst enemy lies within the self...!
Exclamation

Bye!

I take the liberty to finish this

https://twitter.com/emportal

Soul Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ambientlive » wrote:
As one of the old dudes, I'm happy to say also that the first time I saw Pink Floyd live was when they still had Syd Barrett, and they were support for Jimi Hendrix. The Nice with Keith Emerson were on the same bill. You just don't get that sort of thing these days.

When was that then ?, I first saw them live during the tour from witch "pulse" was released. Thanks to some friends I had a "meet and greet" but PF didn't turn up. Sad
Drinks and snacks were very good though. Very Happy

arronizlive

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Words of wisdom...
Cool

ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Soul Hunter » wrote:
« ambientlive » wrote:

When was that then ?, I first saw them live during the tour from witch "pulse" was released. Thanks to some friends I had a "meet and greet" but PF didn't turn up. Sad
Drinks and snacks were very good though. Very Happy

stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

groovy, baby!

Very Happy

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

OMG!!!!

What a line up for an evening... it was that infamous package tour, during which Syd was reputedly quite far gone.

I am sure that I am not alone in asking you tell us your recollections of the bands that night, however hazy they might be...PLEASE Smile

ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well opening was Eire Apparent, a Track label band featuring Henry McCullough, I'd never heard of them, they were ok.
I may get the sequence wrong but next up was Amen Corner, who had some chart hits by then.
Followed by The Move who were brilliant, played all their hits.
The Nice closed the first half. I'd heard of them of course but not heard any records. The following weekend I rushed out and bought Emerlist Davjack. Emerson was brilliant, he did all the tricks, I'd never seen anything like it, ever. No synths at that time of course 'just' the Hammond. I'm still a huge Nice/ELP fan to this day.
Then it was the interval.
Pink Floyd came on after the interval, they basically had a quite a shallow stage area because they had put up a huge white sheet behind themselves. They had lots of lights in front, and these cast shadows onto the sheet mixing the colours. Quite simple for them compared to later in their career, but you have to start somewhere. I already knew their material, had a copy of Piper. I managed to annoy Waters (not hard) after they finished Astronomy Domine he asked 'any requests' so naturally I shouted out 'Astronomy Domine'
Hendrix was masterful, played stuff of Are You Experienced, and some unnamed blues jam stuff. He had Park amplification, lots of it (which was why PF were pushed forward) and I remember at one point he threw the guitar backwards over his head and it hit a cab. He did the lot, feedback, behind the head, and what would these days be called shredding. No burning guitar though (he only did that 3 times)

Craig Shipley

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Didn't Mott The Hoople have an album called "All The Old Dudes"?

"All, all the old dudes
Eating our prunes
Scream at the news.
All the old dudes...

Eh, I can't hear you, dudes! My hearing aid is busted!"

Razz

Being an ol' dude (almost 53), my first real exposure to synth music was with Dick Hyman's first Moog LP. Bought it for about a dollar at the PX in Ankara Turkey (dad was USAF) in 1971 or so. While I really liked the far-out sounds, it was the snakey "The Minotaur" that got me hooked (I think it was the sequencer backbeat).

Next came ELP's Tarkus, which was my first real taste of prog rock.

But what really sank the hook into me was when I was about 16 or 17, senior in high school, I worked the opening 5AM shift at the local McDonalds with my best bud Johnnie, who was a year younger. On nights that we had to open together the next morning, he would come and we would drink beer and listen to the local college FM station (WGTB 90.1, Washington DC). One night about 2 AM, this really weird piece of music came oozing out of the speakers and I went nuts! It was both sides of PHAEDRA and from that point on (with one short-lived romance with punk-rock) I have been a total synth fanatic (It was TD's White Eagle that brought me back to stay from my punk-rock phase).

I'm sure I heard KS on WGTB, but it wasn't until I heard Stomu Yamashita's GO (I was a big Traffic fan and Winwood played keys and sings on this one) that I started snagging KS releases (1st one, TIMEWIND, that was about all you could find then).

Heard OXYGENE while checking out a local record store (couldn't buy it that day, they had one copy and the store clerk wouldn't part with it). Snagged it as soon as I found another copy of it.

IN THE HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN GRILL was my first Hawkwind (rescued from the 49-cent clearance bin at the local Woolworths) but it wasn't until WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME that I got really hooked.

DARK SIDE OF THE MOON was my first Pink Floyd and spent the first night I had it listening to it laying in front of the fireplace, stone-cold sober, listening to the cool sounds and watching the shapes in the fire. Proceeded to fill in the gaps (saw them on the 1975 WYWH tour).

CLOSE TO THE EDGE was a bargain buy, the cool Roger Dean lettering sucked me in, but Wakeman's Moogs & Mellotrons kept me there. Saw 'em on the RELAYER tour and still have the T-shirt. Kept hearing about this "American Yes" called Kansas and while their SONG FOR AMERICA was not quite as spacey as Yes, there was some mighty fine playing and synth work on there. These guys are from out there in the Corn Belt? C'mon, ain't that supposed to be C&W territory?

Later came Synergy and Kraftwerk, which I found in the old Harmony Hut's tiny little e-music section. Heldon came much later, but they had those LPs, too. Good times, when record stores were adventures...

Thanks for listening to the rambling and rantings of an "ol' dude". Now, where's my cane and wheelchair?!? Damn, forgot where I left 'em again!!! Very Happy Very Happy

----------------
Now playing: Radio Massacre International - Pluto
via FoxyTunes

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
arronizlive

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Craig Shipley » wrote:
when record stores were adventures...

I'd like to highlight this one because
I spent hours and hours waving through all those Lp's
(Whit money for one or two...)
but indeed it was a good time!
Wink

...and again...
enjoying the readings...
Cool

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de