EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Your first time...

Paul Ellis
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:45 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I listen to a LOT of music.. heh... sorry I went well beyond the "three" whoops.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I listen to very little music, unfortunately - as a matter of fact, the ones I listed go back to when I was younger Sad Sad
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Paul Ellis
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you mean you don't have much free time to listen to music?
Or just haven't bumped into anything new that works for you?

RemoteViewing81
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:28 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="Mac of BIOnighT"]Not exactly on topic, but what you just wrote inspired me a question for everybody: which is the record(s) - meaning albums, not single tracks - you've listened to the most in your life?

TD's POLAND is off the charts with me... Smile

Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:39 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Paul Ellis » wrote:
Do you mean you don't have much free time to listen to music?
Or just haven't bumped into anything new that works for you?

Well, a bit of both, actually, mostly the first one, though.
That, in conjunction with the fact that when I have a bit of time I prefer to make music, as opposed to listening to it, has made me a rather poor listener Sad
I must also admit that when I was a kid I could listen to the same album or watch the same film hundreds of time, now I tend to feel the need for something new - different stimuli, if you like - much more often.
Is it the same for anybody else here?

Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« RemoteViewing81 » wrote:

TD's POLAND is off the charts with me... Smile

Poland, nice Smile

Paul Ellis
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:41 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I go through cycles of wanting to hear old favorites (Comfort food for the ears) and needing fresh material, which you need a good, trusted filter/reference to wade through the huge volume of available material...

Thankfully these days listening to samples is easier than ever to wade through and find the ones that target your taste exactly. I've been so deep into songwriting and classic 60's 70's pop/rock stuff that I've almost completely lost track of EM.... Which reminds me I wanted to start a thread about recommended new-comers to check out...

grufflehead

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The first memory I have of EM is slightly bizarre, and it wouldn't surprise me if somehow it's actually a manufactured memory - probably from eating cheese before bedtime...

Some considerable time ago, there was a TV program. We Brits called it 'It's A Knockout', our friends across the North Sea had their own variations around 'Jeux Sans Frontieres'. If you remember it, it doesn't need further description; if you've never seen it, imagine a contest between towns in a sort of costume Olympics/decathlon where the events were devised by someone who was a crosss between a gym teacher, an engineer, and a potential serial killer.

continued below

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
grufflehead

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Each country had their own national 'heats' where 3 towns in fairly close proximity would compete (everything was a little cheaper when it came to sets and props), and the winners, much like a top football team, went on into Europe! And that's where it got really fun, especially as the UK commentator would dissolve into hysterical laughter at the drop of a hat, and that just set me off (and countless others too). I could describe if further but youtube is your friend for clips. You can only imagine the Health and Safety problems of trying to do something like this now...

And I swear that at some point in the late 70s/early 80, during one of the Euro heats in France, there was a game where there was a fake ship like a galleon with contestants on some sort of huge swing over water. And in the background? Equinoxe V. None of the youtube clips show it - if anyone could positively prove/disprove this theory I'd be extremely grateful.

grufflehead

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Other early memories for me: I'm equally sure I heard Dervish D as the background music on a BBC science program in the early 80s.

I was introduced to TD by a friend of a friend in 86/87 who brought cassette copies of Hyperborea, White Eagle, Exit and a couple of others to our dorm in the halls of residence, and around the same time hearing all of Oxygene on a dodgy copied cassette which had a KISS album on the other side!

Last one that I can specifically remember is Zoolook which I bought on cassette when my dad took me on one of my infrequent trips to the big city (Edinburgh...). Whether I'd known it was coming out or just stumbled across it I don't know, but I took it home and played it end to end 5 times in a row as I so freaked out at what it sounded like.

redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« grufflehead » wrote:
. We Brits called it 'It's A Knockout',
continued below

Ah, Stuart Hall. He's just celebrated his 80th birthday, and if you listen to his football summaries on Radio Five Live, he's still as mad as a hatter Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
grufflehead

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hard to credit he's 80, ain't it? Very Happy

I had tears streaming down my face - largely because *he* was in hysterics - watching this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2bTwSfWtsE

And I've just watched it again and had to go and dry my eyes again. Classic!
Why is it with the plethora of cable/satellite/freeview channels, nobody shows this again? Even 30 year old repeats would be better than most of the sh*te that's on now

Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Plus the bikes where you had to pedal backwards to go forward and turning the handlebars left made the front wheel turn right....and top heavy costumes that meant once you were down you could only waggle your legs and roll around like a drunk fish out of water.....

A bit like 'Gladiators' but designed by Jim Carey and Tim Burton.....

Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Wait, I thought the title was "Games without frontiers" - that's what Peter Gabriel calls it, anyway... although at one point he actually also says "It's a knockout"...
It was big here in Italy, too, when times were simpler and people more willing to have a laugh than to morbidly observe other people's (fake) lives...

grufflehead

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:08 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Seren » wrote:
Plus the bikes where you had to pedal backwards to go forward and turning the handlebars left made the front wheel turn right

There's one clip of a guy riding a bike along an undulating path over a water tank...while being bombarded by wet sponges. I don't think I'd do that in the dry!

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de