EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Your first time...

utd_grant
Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« grufflehead » wrote:
Other early memories for me: I'm equally sure I heard Dervish D as the background music on a BBC science program in the early 80s.

I'm pretty sure that was used as the background for a sequence in Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' (not a BBC prog). It was a compressed timeline of the history of the universe or evolution on Earth, IMSC.

'Horses Galore' (a kids' TV show about, well.....horses) used 'Pulstar' as the theme tune. There was also a kids' drama series about gymnasts which used 'Autobahn' as the theme tune.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
electroambientspace
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My first exposure was:

Jean-Michel Jarre - Equinoxe in 1978. My introduction to EM. Still love it.

Klaus Schulze - Body Love 2 in 1979. Still my favorite KS by far.

TD - Exit in 1985.

What's funny is, I sometimes can't remember stuff I did yesterday, and rarely can remember what year I did this or that - but still remember clearly when each of the above happened, and the circumstances surrounding each of them. Music is a powerful memory enhancer!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:39 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Very true Smile
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
arronizlive
One of the Coolest Member

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« electroambientspace » wrote:
Music is a powerful memory enhancer!

true!, but as this works for good or bad memories...
I have spent long sessions of "awareness"
just to leave the memories out and
enjoy the music just for the moment,
just for the present time... Wink

MAC of BIONIGHT:
you asked what have I heard the most...
and I had to think a little but I have the winner:
"SUPERTRAMP, PARIS"

Followed by "Ricochet" and "The wall"

I even surprised myself with the results, hehe...
Laughing

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Petrus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Mac of BIOnighT » wrote:
What was your first TD?

A little bit late,

"White Eagle"

Petrus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« arronizlive » wrote:
« electroambientspace » wrote:
Music is a powerful memory enhancer!

true!, but as this works for good or bad memories...
I have spent long sessions of "awareness"
just to leave the memories out and
enjoy the music just for the moment,
just for the present time... Wink

MAC of BIONIGHT:
you asked what have I heard the most...
and I had to think a little but I have the winner:
"SUPERTRAMP, PARIS"

Followed by "Ricochet" and "The wall"

I even surprised myself with the results, hehe...
Laughing

Supertramp - Paris Exclamation

So you do have taste Exclamation Sorry couldn't resist this one. Embarassed LOL

And to make things worse, I can't even argue about #2 and #3.

prognosticon
Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My first encounter with electronic music was whene my older sister got "A broken frame" for her birthday. I was about 13 years old and I just couldn´t stop listning to it. Specially the sound of broken glas in "Leave in silence" blow me away. I was hooked!

Jean Michel Jarre´s "Equinoxe" was the first EM-record I got and I still think its one of the best.

A bit later Kraftwerk´s "Radioaktivität" show me that I was on the rigth track.

Today there is so much more in my collection and I love them all Smile
/Peter

Epiphany
Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I was about 11 when I heard for the first time Atom Heart Mother of Pink Floyd. Not exactly EM, but the strange middle part blow me away. After that I got me a copy of TD Rubycon.

Christian Welde

norway.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:54 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Pink Floyd, Wish you were here, I was in my early teens, on a boattrip, the music was in a nature documentary!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger    
Nisus
Cool Member

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

KS: his 1974-1997(?) sampler... Death of an analogue, the song from 'X' and the last part of the 'dome event'... Blown away!
Mariouani: space opera part 4... Omg!
Michael Hoenig: departure of the northern wasteland... Wooooooooooow!
Ozric Tentacles: Erpland... No way! What an intro into a psychic world!
(and many more...)

Nisus

electrobs

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

JARRE - LES CONCERTS EN CHINE
TANGERINE DREAM - WHITE EAGLE
VANGELIS - SPIRAL
KLAUS SCHULZE - DUNE

... August 1992 Smile

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, somehow I missed this thread before... Wink

Well, the very first (music) record I ever bought in my life (...because of it's cover, for I had never heard the name of that musician until then) was:

Jean Michel Jarre, Oxygene

On a flee market, in the year 1983, I think. Vinyl, of course, I still have this copy, although it's worn out to bein nearly unlistenable. Must have played it a million times on my old yellow portable mono record player I had as a boy... Wink

From then on, much (MUCH) music, electronic and other, followed quickly. Other early (more or less) electronic music experiences included:

Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here

Vangelis, Opera Sauvage

Kitaro, Silk Road

Tangerine Dream, Sorcerer OST

Schulze came a little later, first album was "Audentity" (and I had never heard of him before, either...).
But I must have told that story as often as I've listened to "Oxygene" I guess...

Wink

arronizlive

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:39 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"...because of it's cover..."

Hahaha... I smile because that's how I
discovered Hundreds of great -Bands/Artists/Albums-
(And two or three disappointments too)

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« arronizlive » wrote:
"...because of it's cover..."

Hahaha... I smile because that's how I
discovered Hundreds of great -Bands/Artists/Albums-
(And two or three disappointments too)

He-he... Yes, it were many more in my case, too. Saga, for instance. Even Jethro Tull. Often it works astoninglishly well...

In this case, though, it didn't, as far as I remember (...or I wasn't experienced enough. The title of the album "Roger buys a fridge" should probably have warned me):

Laughing

Seeker_UK
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The seeds for liking EM were sown back in the 70s. Dad, like so many other dads had DSOTM and scared a 5 year old Seeker by playing "On the Run" very loudly when mum was out at work. He also had "This is the Moody Blues" and so that's where the love of Mellotron came in.

Then there were a number of singles that cemented synths into my consciousness:

Son of My Father by Chicory Tip
Star Wars by Meco (bad disco but chock full of synths)
Pepper Box by The Peppers

And the Dr Who theme, natch

and then along came "Oxygene IV". You couldn't miss it. So I was bought "Oxygene"

Then I was bought "War of the Worlds" and "Tubular Bells".

However, by 1981, I'd gone off music all together but then in 83/4 I met Jon, who lived across the road from me. Although a couple of years younger than me, he had an older sister who was a bit of a hippy who liked Van Morrsion and had a load of hippy chums who listened to Tangerine Dream, Mike Oldfield, Fairport Convention, Gong, Amon Duul 2, Henry Cow and, well, you get the idea. These same friends had loaned the young Jon a couple of Mike Oldfield albums which, when I went to visit him, he had and we listened to ‘QE2’, 'Five Miles Out' and 'Crises'; each every bit as good as 'Tubular Bells'.

That was it! I was hooked. Something clicked inside and I went from being disinterested in music to being mad about it. Mike's albums were bought, Dad's record collection raided and the tapes at the local library borrowed in a quest to find more like it. Close encounters with Alan Parsons, Steve Miller and Manfred Mann's Earth Band brought some listening pleasure but nothing quite as good as Mike.

Then, just when I was going to be exclusively Mike’s, Jon's record lender came up trumps.

One Saturday evening I was over at Jon's house when out came a record by a band I'd sort of heard of before (but to this day, I can’t recall how). The silver gatefold had everything: It was released on Virgin in 1978 (a good combination), had a green label with the Roger Dean logo, odd cover art, a photo of 4 freaky blokes and an equipment list as long as yer arm. 'Cyclone' was something special and I'll wax lyrical about it later. That was it. Forget Mike Oldfield, forget Alan Parsons, forget the rest, it was going be Tangerine Dream from now on.

Trying to find anything else like ‘Cyclone’ proved difficult (as I found out when I bought 'Rubycon') but 'Ricochet' turned out good, albeit for different reasons - I needed no more proof of TD’s genius. I decided to collect as much by them as I could. The hair grew long like my heroes' (much to my parent’s despair) and the bank account took a continual bashing as the collection expanded (much to my parent’s despair).

Regular journeys to Cambridge became a part of life; ‘The Beat Goes On’ in Regent Street, ‘Andys’ on Mill Road and the market and ‘Our Price’, Bridge Street.

Then I discovered KS (thanks also to Jon) by hearing "X" and the "Mindphaser" compilation.

Kraftwerk was the next big purchase, buying copies of the "Doppelalbum" and "Autobahn".

And then by regular trips to Andys and Parrot Records in Regent Street to raid the "Electronic / Experimental" bin, discovered Sky Records, Neuronium, Didier Bocquet, White Noise.

Final think was my friend giving me all his old copies of Electronics and Music Maker (from the time when Mike Beecher ran it) - I then spent the next 10 years trying to find some of the albums reviewed in it.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de