EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Vinyl!!

sparrow
One of the Coolest Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:15 pm    Vinyl!! Reply with quoteBack to top

I went from about 1991 to around 2000 just buying CD's and then found myself looking at a vinyl copy of TD's Firestarter ..should I buy it?? I said I did and since then have quadrupled my vinyl collection. I know the format aint in the slightest perfect..but..It in some cases does sound better than CD's..TD's Rubycon on vinyl is way better than any of the available CD formats including the SACD edition. I can put up with ticks n' Pops most of the time and would choose vinyl over CD anytime if given the choice.. Anyone here still buy LP's and such??
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Bert

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Occasionally I do when I get my hands on something worthy.
I never sold or will I sell any of my carefully collected bunch of vinyl's in 24 years, as I -like you- love the feel and sound of them and still absolutely enjoy the beautiful fold-out covers.

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:58 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

i do not buy anymore, but i prefer LP above all, and not only because the art.
and the pops and clicks gives the listening session something extra Wink

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
RemoteViewing81

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I dust off the Stanton every once in a while to hear my old TD, ENO, and Jazz fusion albums. Lost most of my records in a blazing apartment fire in '81. The rich warm sound from LP's is hard to beat.

Bruce
Cool Member

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:56 am    Re: Vinyl!! Reply with quoteBack to top

« sparrow » wrote:
TD's Rubycon on vinyl is way better than any of the available CD formats including the SACD edition.

Funny you should mention that... the mid-price reissue of that album that I picked up in the mid-80s was so noisy that it was practically unlistenable. I was thrilled when I got a CD player and could finally enjoy that album.

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Can't say I buy vinyl anymore but I have quite a few in my collection. EM highlights include:

TDs Force Majeure, Exit, Logos, White Eagle, Flashpoint, Thief
Froese's Kamikaze 1989 and Stuntman
Vangelis' The City
O'Hearn's Rivers Gonna Rise
Moroder's Cat People
Hammer's Escape From Television
The World Of Private Music 2
Jarre's In Concert Houston Lyon

Fun to put them on from time to time.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
cromag
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:45 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually, I have been haunting used record stores over here for the past three years or so. I've picked up a lot of used LPs -- far more than my wife is comfortable with -- most in near mint condition and most for a dollar apiece.

Aside from getting a dozen songs (and probably 3 or 4 good songs) for the cost of a single Itunes download, I use a nice program to clean up the surface noise, burn them to CD, rip them to my MP3 player, impress my friends and amuse my kids (I thought they'd get a kick out of seeing a phonograph work, but they were far more ... entertained ... by the "old fashioned" music). Confused

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Bert » wrote:
Occasionally I do when I get my hands on something worthy.
I never sold or will I sell any of my carefully collected bunch of vinyl's in 24 years, as I -like you- love the feel and sound of them and still absolutely enjoy the beautiful fold-out covers.

I've sold alot of cds but no vinyl yet. That's due, in part, to my laziness to package records for the post.

Now... with all the musicians here I am amazed at the lack of vinyl releases.

dave

Craig Shipley

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:17 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I purged most of my mainstream vinyl a few years ago but held onto all of my Japanese vinyl (these are the BEST quality) and other half-speed-cut, virgin vinyl LPs, electronic music, prog rock, Frank Zappa, etc. As I'm looking at clearing out some of my stuff since i have way too much stuff in general, the LP collection is probably going to go on the block soon. Most of the vinyl got played ONCE, with a top-of-the-line Shure cartridge, to be dubbed to cassette tape so these are as close to mint as you can get.

Got a factory sealed Japanese pressing of OXYGENE, never played. I'd like to display it in a LP frame, but I don't want to mess up its virgin status.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

There's ALOT of bands/artists still releasing NEW music on vinyl. Just not much in the realm of New Age/EM.
I believe if NA/EM musicians would have kept releasing on vinyl years ago the music would have spread to more people.
I've always respected those who bypassed concerns on vinyl production costs and put out vinyl when the vinyl trend was decreasing.

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:14 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Feb birth » wrote:
There's ALOT of bands/artists still releasing NEW music on vinyl. Just not much in the realm of New Age/EM.
I believe if NA/EM musicians would have kept releasing on vinyl years ago the music would have spread to more people.
I've always respected those who bypassed concerns on vinyl production costs and put out vinyl when the vinyl trend was decreasing.

I agree, I like vinyl also. I like the "concept" behind it.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Nostalgic preferences LOL
I am glad not to see any vinyl, ever.
It kept me poor for years, buying multiple copies of the same LP in search for a better pressing.
Even Japanese were not 100%, I still got some 5 copies of New Age of Earth and Eno's Discreet music, lots of crackles, a bad batch I guess, but not everything was available from Japan.
Just play any early Neuronium Spanish pressings, Eno Ambient series or Vangelis L'apocalypse des animaux, I was after the music not surface noise and bad pressings.

However, with some 600LP's still around, I just set up a high end "analog corner" to transfer/clean some of the rare unreleased music, quite a ritual to set up properly.

Obviously, noise is a lesser issue with high energy music like rock or disco, as is the lack of channel separation, dynamic range, bass, etc.

My dreams just don't take me there anymore.....

Laughing

Petrus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:19 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I prefer leather, vinyl is soooo "synthetic". Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Petrus » wrote:
I prefer leather, vinyl is soooo "synthetic". Very Happy

You are such a total douche...

cucamonga
Even more Cool Member

spain.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:39 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Coming back to the vinyl topic.
I still have some Klaus Schulze vinyls and they are in very good conditions. If someone is interested, please let me know.
Cool

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de