EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

How do you compose?

René

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:28 pm    How do you compose? Reply with quoteBack to top

tell us. I never composed anything in life. Crying or Very sad
qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

So Ren

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (†1955)

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Phrozenlight
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I do not compose; everything is random Twisted Evil

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
René

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« qwave » wrote:
So Ren
Azra
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:59 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Mine's a modest MIDI system, thus the Yamaha EX7 workstation (Yamaha's last best workstation series!) works enough for me. Cool

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Jared White

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:41 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a computer setup and pretty much work exclusively with soft synths. Most of the time, I start out a piece with melody or chords or mood in mind, and then just load up a bunch of sounds that seem to fit. Then I start going through the piece from the top, building up the layers section by section. My music tends to be fairly structured, rather than long-form improv. type stuff, so this works for me. Frankly, I've never tried laying down a whole track live with hardware sequencers running, multi-timbral keyboard playing, realtime effects, etc. It sounds really difficult to me to work that way! I truly have no idea how the old masters did any of their stuff. Smile

Sonic Steve
Cool Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:31 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Watched the movie, The Benny Goodman Story last night on TCM. He knew how the clarinet works and just played it, to fit his style. Very Happy Have to think the masters did the same thing.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger    
René

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hadn't Vangelis not the same thing with his CS80?
Syn303

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote:781579e461="Ren
Didymos
Cool Member

finland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Putting the sliders and knobs in new positions has always had a tremendous effect on my inspiration. A good sound can be a very good starting point.

Composing... that can vary so much. Sometimes I just sit down at my keyboard, hit the record button and play -> add some synth layers -> add a sequence -> leave it for a few weeks and come back with a fresh approach.

Too often though composing has meant messing things up at first and then trying to arrange them in such a way that it no more sounds 'messy'. I'd like to move a bit to the other direction so that the very first take can be left as it is.
This does require more rehearsing before recording.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
sraymar

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:48 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, I'm new here and I've gone at it from different angles -

Layered(mono & poly), looped, analog style sequencer(with & without
synth tweeking), hands on keyboard improvs, and structured recurring
seqments. Lately I've been experimenting with my softsampler using
sampled sounds and events I've made that have been tweeked sitting
side by side mapped out on the keyboard.

Steve

corporation
Very Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I like experimenting with different ways of inspiring myself, but invariably it comes down to finding or creating an interesting sound and then using that as inspiration - playing notes, chords, rhythms, whatever until something interesting happens. How the piece develops after that really depends on what part of the music the inspiration comes from, but I usually "hear" what I want to do with a piece in my head and then translate that through the keyboard.

Recently I've tried creating sequences as the starting block, rather than the chords and melody, and it produces interesting results. I've tried experimenting with different compositional styles but I have a habit of going back to what works.

Occasionally a melody or rhythm comes to mind - usually when I'm in the middle of nowhere with no means to write it down or record it - and I'll get that down next time I switch on the keyboard. I've had some truly classic tunes in my head at times but invariably I forget them (getting old, no doubt).

Dirk
Even more Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you record directly to a harddisk recorder or do you use software like Sonar or Cubase?

I use Sonar (SE6).

qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have two different approches:
I am in special emotional feeling. And me playing on a big Waldorf. Something is evolving from the pads I play. The feedback from the sounds and music is either positive or negative to the feelings. Depends on the mood.

The other way is when my friend HaJo plays the step sequencer controlling analog sound and drum modules. And I try to interact with this. Using arpeggiators, pads and lead synths.
And HaJo then is acting on this. A positive feedback loop.

Both ways are more improvising styles. Not composing by sitting at a keyboards and thinking about clever chord progressions or melodies.

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (†1955)

rob
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:43 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Phrozenlight » wrote:
I do not compose; everything is random Twisted Evil

hehe
can't even say that, I use scissors and glue Razz

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de