EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

TD-expert advice.

transceive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:47 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you will enjoy Logos the most if you like White Eagle. In my humble opinion Logos is the peak of the Schmoelling era lineup closely followed by Poland.
Would anyone agree that Poland is the last truly "classic" album that TD made? The follow ups Le Parc & Underwater Sunlight were good but show the 1st signs of what they do now. I.e. bland sounding shorter tracks based around presets on digital synths. I kind of gave up after Paul Haslinger left. Controversial comments? You tell me!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
prognosticon
Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I did enjoy Logos. It was great, but Im gonna listen to again in a while whene I hit the track, running. I do agree wiyh you though, it have a similare feeling to White eagle.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
sparrow
One of the Coolest Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« transceive » wrote:
I think you will enjoy Logos the most if you like White Eagle. In my humble opinion Logos is the peak of the Schmoelling era lineup closely followed by Poland.
Would anyone agree that Poland is the last truly "classic" album that TD made? The follow ups Le Parc & Underwater Sunlight were good but show the 1st signs of what they do now. I.e. bland sounding shorter tracks based around presets on digital synths. I kind of gave up after Paul Haslinger left. Controversial comments? You tell me!

Each to their own. TD only lost their way a bit in the 90's. The more recent albums in the last decade have been excellent IMO. OK not eveyone likes them but Edgar seemed to hit his stride in the last few years. Underwater Sunlight is my fave TD record of all time and one of the few I can put on and be amazed by the beautiful varied soundscapes.

24db

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:30 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It's living in Springburn, it makes you grumpy Wink

Hope you're doing well Stephen

andy

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Tangram
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:29 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« transceive » wrote:

I would say that Livemiles was the last really good album, Mota Atma and Purgatorio broke the mould thereafter as they were enjoyably different, and I gave up after the truly awful Madcap's Flaming Duty which went duly in the bin, where just about everything after Livemiles should have gone too, but my bin isn't that big, so I kept them!

Up to 1988, TD used to pride themselves on quality rather than quality, we always seemed to eagerly await a new release, but since then, new releases seem to have been flying at us every other month, and quantity has taken precedence over quality, although I can't comment on the quality of anything after MFD, as I gave in collecting at that point.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Audioot
Even more Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:38 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« transceive » wrote:

No, quite agree there. Underwater Sunlight is the last one I enjoyed.
I just listened to Soundmill Navigator again, although from 1976 this is a really awful production. Very bad sound quality. My guess it's one of the original Tree recordings, re-issued by TDI to cash in? Sounds like an audience recording.

Marcel

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:54 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
just listened to Soundmill Navigator again, although from 1976 this is a really awful production. Very bad sound quality. My guess it's one of the original Tree recordings, re-issued by TDI to cash in? Sounds like an audience recording.

This is exactly what was done, this is what TT was referring to stating that even Froese was resorting to some of the audience recordings.

I lost all respect for Froese since the TDI years, so many compilations, so many versions, remixes and tampering with tracks and contents on some reissues, really milking those hard core fans buying everything that has TD on it.
Luckily enough, there is plenty of good TD music around as long as one is selective.

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Please, also remember that Soundmill Navigator's original tapes were tampered on. There were some new sounds added, with an (unsuccessful) equalizing etc. In other words, some slight tangentizing was applied. It looks like tangentizing is some kind of infection that, once you start doing it, you can't fight with anymore... Confused

Maff
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It wasn't sourced from the Tangerine Tree. Soundmill was released in 2000, and the TT project didn't start until 2002. TT and TL recordings were used in the Bootleg Boxes and Bootmoon series.
prognosticon
Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This have been very instructive. What I understand, after reading this thread and taking consern to my one taste and opinion, I should hold my self to "The Virgin Years" and "The Blue Years". And maby, sometimes whene Im in the right mood, "The Pink Years". (At least at this point)

Thanks everyone!

transceive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« 24db » wrote:

andy

Ho ho Andy I've moved to a nice house in the West End of Glasgow now! Smile
Re some of the other comments Yeah I do still like albums after Poland so I'll change to losing interest after track 1 on Lily on the Beach!
I quite liked DM4 as well even if it was a bit heavy on the Sample Libraries.
C'mon Edgar throw away all your GM workstations & get the Moogs & Jupiter 8 out of storage!

24db

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

the West end? you jammy git..we were there a few weeks back...****y freezing though.

Strangely enough I know somebody who bought Edgar's 3 cabinet Moog/PE/PPG modular, very nice photos as well Smile

I've never lost interest, IMHO there have been good, bad and ugly tracks throughout TD's history.

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
rattymouse
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« transceive » wrote:
« 24db » wrote:

andy

Ho ho Andy I've moved to a nice house in the West End of Glasgow now! Smile
Re some of the other comments Yeah I do still like albums after Poland so I'll change to losing interest after track 1 on Lily on the Beach!
I quite liked DM4 as well even if it was a bit heavy on the Sample Libraries.
C'mon Edgar throw away all your GM workstations & get the Moogs & Jupiter 8 out of storage!

DM4 was a Jerome production I believe. Not Edgar.

Thomas
Even more Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« prognosticon » wrote:
This have been very instructive. What I understand, after reading this thread and taking consern to my one taste and opinion, I should hold my self to "The Virgin Years" and "The Blue Years". And maby, sometimes whene Im in the right mood, "The Pink Years". (At least at this point)

Thanks everyone!

And... when you again are in the right mood:

Summer In Nagasaki (2007, very beautiful album!)
Views From A Red Train (2008)
Purple Diluvial (2008 EP, Absolutely stunning!)
Chandra - The Phantom Ferry Part I (2009)

Smile

prognosticon
Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:54 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Thomas » wrote:
« prognosticon » wrote:

Thanks everyone!

And... when you again are in the right mood:

Summer In Nagasaki (2007, very beautiful album!)
Views From A Red Train (2008)
Purple Diluvial (2008 EP, Absolutely stunning!)
Chandra - The Phantom Ferry Part I (2009)

Okej Smile Thanx!

Smile

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de