EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

A tribute to Schulze, Froese and Co

bewoest
One of the Coolest Member

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:23 pm    A tribute to Schulze, Froese and Co Reply with quoteBack to top

Nowadays there are a couple of tribute bands around which are able to perform their music almost as good as the original bands.

So, would you be interesed to see and listen to a tribute band that actually just re-plays pieces of all the heros of electronic music, as the likes of Schulze, Froese and Co.?

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:26 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

No

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
René

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:26 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

No thanks
redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Probably not.

I went to see KSB's Schulze tribute night a while back and it didn't work (for me) as well as I'd imagined. I was expecting KSB music containing Schulze references and phrases , as they have done before, but not wholesale copies. It's very difficult to cover what was originally pretty much improvised music, it just doesn't sound as flowing. And covers of the more structured pieces would depend entirely on how original the actual sounds could be.

I enjoy it when a band might throw in a cover track as part of their set, but not as a whole set.

If the performance was part of a festival type gig I would certainly give them a listen, but I can't see me travelling for just that alone.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Nope. Not interested.

bewoest

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Apparently it seems to be a question of a certain personality behind the music, isn't it?
Graham

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Just to go against the grain, if it were as good as this, yes I'd be interested. Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZb9Gb5lSpY

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well tributes are just not so interesting to me. It's good to hear something new done to well-known songs, but if the initial pieces were improvised a tribute becomes pretty much useless, you can never repeat all improvs note by note, and even if you do it will still never be the same. Those old pieces exist as they are, with those special sounds intact while a tribute would mean for me a slaughtered / battered version thereof, something akin to modern-day tangentizing Mr. Froese is so fond of. Thanks, but no thanks.

Smile

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

And, yes, that Klauss tribute is good.

redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« bewoest » wrote:
Apparently it seems to be a question of a certain personality behind the music, isn't it?

do you mean who is covering or who is being covered ?

sparrow

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:26 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I like tribute acts especially MacFloyd a Scottish Pink Floyd tribute act but a TD or KS wouldn't be my kinda thing. And probably no one would go see them anyay.
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:41 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Apart from the question if I might be interested, I think there's not too many people around that are actually capable of doing such a tribute. And those who are, are probably not willing to perform.

It's one thing to pretend you sound like 70's TD or Schulze. But it's a completely different game to actually copy the music as a true tribute. That would need a very good insight in what exactly the founding fathers did at that time. For which you need to be a gifted musician to start with. Obviously Paul Lawler comes to mind. The above mentioned Klauss apparently know what they're doing too. And I guess Stephan Whitlan could do it too, if he wanted. But I'm afraid not too many of today's copycats are in the same league as these three.

René

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:59 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« redphil » wrote:
« bewoest » wrote:

do you mean who is covering or who is being covered ?

I second that question. Why should I be automatically interested in such a thing? This has nothing to do with personality. If you can arrange a concert here in Gouda so I can go by foot or bike, then there's a possibility to come, have a beer and good time and then off home.

von haulshoven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:24 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I wait for the day they cover/playback/karaoke/tribute von haulshoven
haha Very Happy

redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
Apart from the question if I might be interested, I think there's not too many people around that are actually capable of doing such a tribute. And those who are, are probably not willing to perform.

It's one thing to pretend you sound like 70's TD or Schulze. But it's a completely different game to actually copy the music as a true tribute. That would need a very good insight in what exactly the founding fathers did at that time. For which you need to be a gifted musician to start with. Obviously Paul Lawler comes to mind. The above mentioned Klauss apparently know what they're doing too. And I guess Stephan Whitlan could do it too, if he wanted. But I'm afraid not too many of today's copycats are in the same league as these three.

I'm not sure you need to be a gifted musician to play 70's TD or KS, but you would certainly need to be a gifted technician, in order to be able to get the gear to produce the right sounds.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de