EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

A tribute to Schulze, Froese and Co

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm, it depends... Embarassed
Dithmar
Cool Member

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't see the problem in doing remakes of TD/KS tracks (I'd be an a*se if I did, as I did a few myself), but I can't honestly see the point in recreating a track sound by sound to end up a carbon copy as it looks like in the Klauss video.

It is a very sensitive area to touch. Especially if you are interested in other peoples opinions on it. Most die-hard fans ALWAYS prefer the original. If not out of quality, then just out of pure love and devotion. There is an listeners experience attached to the track, that can't be reproduced when someone else does it. Not even if the production or general result is actually better than the original. It's still just a copy.

That factor is fundamental.

Why did I do remakes of TD and KS anyway then? ONE because I couldn't help it. It was fun breaking the tracks down and building them up again. TWO because I couldn't give a rats a*se what people think of it and me for doing it. I felt like it, and why stop then because of the expected response.

In fact Zodiac Zeit is tribute album (although with no remakes), eventhough I knew I was stepping into a minefield doing it. But again. I didn't make that album to satisfy others - just myself. That other people eventually recognized it, is just an added bonus in the end Wink

And to answer directly to your question. I'm always keen to hear what other EM-people do. No matter if they wrote the material themselves, or do copying or remaking! I love being inspired...

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Arent most EM performers unvoluntarily making tributes to those major names all the time? I mean, who could claim not to be influenced by any of these, and who wouldnt want to have a little bit of their glory in ones own work?

As for yet another musical "tribute" done deliberately, Id say "no!"... weve had too many of these in the past.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
bewoest
One of the Coolest Member

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« redphil » wrote:
« bewoest » wrote:
Apparently it seems to be a question of a certain personality behind the music, isn't it?

do you mean who is covering or who is being covered ?

It was meant in the way that there is possibly an expectation of an individual and unique artistic concept or personality behind the music.

In this context this might just mean that covered electronic music couldn't be really authentic... Can it?

« dronescape » wrote:
Arent most EM performers unvoluntarily making tributes to those major names all the time?

I had the very same idea already quite a long time ago, and since I was asking myself (and also asking it to this esteemed forum) if it might worth it just to copy the originals note by note...

modulator_esp

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:40 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not a big fan of tribute acts, as I'd much rather see the original band wherever possible

but, where the original is no longer available or doesn't seem to be up to the job of re-producing their original works authentically, an authentic tribute might be an alternative

Seeker_UK
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It's an interesting one this.

Since TD and KS never played the same thing twice during the period m,ost people seem to be interested in (ie before 1980) a tribute act intent on recreating the live experience is going to have to improvise rather than try and recreate "Moondawn" or "Rubycon" live.

And TBH, most of the acts that improvise live with analogue synths and the like are working in that sort of style anyway.

If you want to hear a TD album performed on stage as it was in the studio - go and see TD.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I normally don't go to "A band plays another band" concerts, because I often think they want to create the illusion of the other band on stage. They even dress up like them, use a similar stage set-up, and pretend to be people they are not.

I don't know if this would be the case if a band would play TD live. However, I would definitely go to a "Some band plays TD" concert if they:.
a) played all their instruments live
b) were themselves, and added a personal feeling to the tracks.
c) played in a near distance, so I could catch the last train home.

By the way, a lot of great posts in this thread.

modulator_esp

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Seeker_UK » wrote:

If you want to hear a TD album performed on stage as it was in the studio - go and see TD.

really - that has never been my experience

Seeker_UK
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« modulator_esp » wrote:
« Seeker_UK » wrote:

The last 2 gigs I went to they managed to replicate perfectly all of the tracks on DM3 and 4.

How clever is that? Wink

modulator_esp

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Seeker_UK » wrote:
« modulator_esp » wrote:
« Seeker_UK » wrote:

The last 2 gigs I went to they managed to replicate perfectly all of the tracks on DM3 and 4.

How clever is that? Wink

yes, that would be my point really Wink

redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:08 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« bewoest » wrote:
« redphil » wrote:
« bewoest » wrote:
Apparently it seems to be a question of a certain personality behind the music, isn't it?

do you mean who is covering or who is being covered ?

It was meant in the way that there is possibly an expectation of an individual and unique artistic concept or personality behind the music.

In this context this might just mean that covered electronic music couldn't be really authentic... Can it?

Ah, right.
Would there be a difference covering an, at the time, improvised piece or a structured written piece ?
Surely no covered music is authentic, it's just a copy.

Dithmar
Cool Member

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« redphil » wrote:
...Surely no covered music is authentic, it's just a copy.

I really don't understand why there has to be this negative vibe about playing other composer's music. Surely Beethoven and Shostakovich is as playable and inspiring for some as Schulzes work is for others (or maybe even the same people)

It really just shows that TD and KS has meant a lot for a lot of people, and that is highly appreciative. Of course there are good and bad covers/remakes etc etc, but I can't really comprehend the sortof distancing to a cover version just because it is a cover version.

5 mad cents from CPH Wink

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The problem about cover versions is, you can play the exact same notes on exactly the same instruments but there is one decisive factor missing in this: the "vibe". Ive listened to cover versions of Pink Floyds "Echoes" by some really good musicians, and it sounded pathetic. It was like a school band performing "The Works of Pink Floyd".

Im sure this would happen to a cover version of "Floating" as well...

Id rather take, say, "White Eagle" era TD as a starting point for my own creation, quoting them but not copying them.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
sparrow

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:00 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
The problem about cover versions is, you can play the exact same notes on exactly the same instruments but there is one decisive factor missing in this: the "vibe". Ive listened to cover versions of Pink Floyds "Echoes" by some really good musicians, and it sounded pathetic. It was like a school band performing "The Works of Pink Floyd".

Im sure this would happen to a cover version of "Floating" as well...

Id rather take, say, "White Eagle" era TD as a starting point for my own creation, quoting them but not copying them.

Stephen

Well I've seen Australian Pink Floyd, In The Flesh & Mac Floyd do Echoes and they are as good if not better than the live versions by the Real Floyd.

von haulshoven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:22 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I would like to cover a Schulze track he has not done yet.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de