EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

 Music you have recently bought - Part 1

Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Message
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin




Age: 57
Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 8799
Location: The Netherlands


blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:43 am    Music you have recently bought - Part 1 Reply with quoteBack to top

Rene van der Wouden > Recreation (2007)
_________________
Jac. Huswinus

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
René
Guest










PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Enigma - A Posteriori
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells III

Online    
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist




Age: 52
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 581
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands


netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Edward Ka-Spel - Long Red Ladder To The Moon
Edward Ka-Spel - Eyes, China Doll
- The Grandmaster of Psychedelic Poetry
Eberhard Schoener - Trance Mission (Bali Symphony)
- CD with added vocal tracks that are not very interesting. But, I can finally play "Can you hear the voices calling" in my car!!!
Mi and L'au - Mi and L'au
- Folky singer-songwriter duo (also lovers) with pretty little songs, produced by ex-Swans guitarist/singer/composer and Young God Records label owner Michael Gira

Soon:

Quantum Fantay - Agapanthusterra
Quantum Fantay - Ugisiunsi

For all Ozric Tentacles fans, check them out here

Ha, these new features in the edit box are cool to play with...

_________________
Billions can hear, but only few can listen
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BillBinkelman
Very Cool Member




Age: 64
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 163
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA


usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

While not EM, the soundtrack to The Fountain, featuring the music of Kronos Quartet and Mogwai, with a score composed by Clint Mansell, is bloody freakin' brilliant. Best movie score I've heard in years. That it wasn't nominated for an Academy Award is an insult to music lovers' intelligence. I highly recommend it!

PS The movie is amazing too...the most lyrical "visual" movie I've seen since 2001 or maybe to some degree Baraka.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy




Age: 46
Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 4426
Location: Bobbejaanland, hèt lekkerste land!


blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, forgive me for sounding cynical but aren
_________________
"The things you own end up owning you." (Tyler Durden -- Fight Club)

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
solitaryzen
One of the Coolest Member





Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 509
Location: Melbourne, Australia



PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:25 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
Edward Ka-Spel - Long Red Ladder To The Moon
Edward Ka-Spel - Eyes, China Doll
- The Grandmaster of Psychedelic Poetry


Good to see another Ka-Spel fan! Eyes, China Doll is one of his best solo efforts I think (especially the epic "Hotel Blanc"). I've had the rather rare original vinyl release for some time, but good to see it has finally been re-issued on CD.

What is the other one like?

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist




Age: 52
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 581
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands


netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« solitaryzen » wrote:
« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
Edward Ka-Spel - Long Red Ladder To The Moon
Edward Ka-Spel - Eyes, China Doll
- The Grandmaster of Psychedelic Poetry


Good to see another Ka-Spel fan! Eyes, China Doll is one of his best solo efforts I think (especially the epic "Hotel Blanc"). I've had the rather rare original vinyl release for some time, but good to see it has finally been re-issued on CD.

What is the other one like?


Eyes, China Doll is his best solo effort, mostly due to "Hotel Blanc" (which is, afaIc the greatest psychedelic track ever). The new album is quite good. For starters, it has more "bite" than some previous solo albums. Especially Tanith and the Lion Tree was rather weak in comparison to his more powerful stuff like the complete ..., China Doll series. But you also get a very familiar sound. That's actually one thing I like about Edward and also his band Legendary Pinkdots: No matter how different the songs are, you can always recognize their heritage.

Some people may call that a weakness (there is a rather lively discussion going on here about Jarre's evolution Wink, but I really don't mind.

Furthermore, this album is a real "headphone-trip". There is so much going on in the mix that it took me at least three complete listens to get some idea of what is happening. Recording quality is excellent, some nice "new-ish" arrangements, great lyrics and also great artwork.

The funny thing though is that there seems to be someting significantly different about the sound of the Eyes, China Doll re-issue. I compared it to a previous re-issue on Down In The City Of Heartbreak And Needles pt. I and first of all this new re-issue is much louder. I have to agree that the original re-issue could have done with some normalisation, but somehow I get the feeling that normalizing is not the only thing they did to it. There is a sense of compression as well, that leaves the dynamics slightly diminished somehow, and the original reverb on Edwards voice is so much "louder" now that his voice sounds much further back into the mix, even slightly disembodied.

I have mailed Edward about this, and he assured me that there was no extra reverb added. And I have absolutely no reason not to believe him. It might have something to do with the remastering process. If they boosted the midrange (which could also be a side-effect of compression - or worse: maximization...), they would also have boosted the reverb that is in the same frequency range.

Anyway, I'm still not sure which version I prefer. The old re-issue now sounds slightly thin and soft, but the new re-issue has the drowning vocals...

Anyway, the artwork is pretty awesome (a mini-gatefold with the original - white, not the pink, alas - artwork), and just for that it is worth getting.

_________________
Billions can hear, but only few can listen
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Heavyman1
Very Cool Member




Age: 68
Joined: 04 Feb 2007
Posts: 161
Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire


blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Tara - Indra.

2nd CD in the Special Edition series. Excellent Berlin School. Smile Smile Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Thomas
Even more Cool Member





Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 368


norway.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Dominici - O3 A Trilogy - Part 2
Blackfield - Blackfield II

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
solitaryzen
One of the Coolest Member





Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 509
Location: Melbourne, Australia



PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:27 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
« solitaryzen » wrote:
« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
Edward Ka-Spel - Long Red Ladder To The Moon
Edward Ka-Spel - Eyes, China Doll
- The Grandmaster of Psychedelic Poetry


Good to see another Ka-Spel fan! Eyes, China Doll is one of his best solo efforts I think (especially the epic "Hotel Blanc"). I've had the rather rare original vinyl release for some time, but good to see it has finally been re-issued on CD.

What is the other one like?


Eyes, China Doll is his best solo effort, mostly due to "Hotel Blanc" (which is, afaIc the greatest psychedelic track ever). The new album is quite good. For starters, it has more "bite" than some previous solo albums. Especially Tanith and the Lion Tree was rather weak in comparison to his more powerful stuff like the complete ..., China Doll series. But you also get a very familiar sound. That's actually one thing I like about Edward and also his band Legendary Pinkdots: No matter how different the songs are, you can always recognize their heritage.

Some people may call that a weakness (there is a rather lively discussion going on here about Jarre's evolution Wink, but I really don't mind.

Furthermore, this album is a real "headphone-trip". There is so much going on in the mix that it took me at least three complete listens to get some idea of what is happening. Recording quality is excellent, some nice "new-ish" arrangements, great lyrics and also great artwork.

The funny thing though is that there seems to be someting significantly different about the sound of the Eyes, China Doll re-issue. I compared it to a previous re-issue on Down In The City Of Heartbreak And Needles pt. I and first of all this new re-issue is much louder. I have to agree that the original re-issue could have done with some normalisation, but somehow I get the feeling that normalizing is not the only thing they did to it. There is a sense of compression as well, that leaves the dynamics slightly diminished somehow, and the original reverb on Edwards voice is so much "louder" now that his voice sounds much further back into the mix, even slightly disembodied.

I have mailed Edward about this, and he assured me that there was no extra reverb added. And I have absolutely no reason not to believe him. It might have something to do with the remastering process. If they boosted the midrange (which could also be a side-effect of compression - or worse: maximization...), they would also have boosted the reverb that is in the same frequency range.

Anyway, I'm still not sure which version I prefer. The old re-issue now sounds slightly thin and soft, but the new re-issue has the drowning vocals...

Anyway, the artwork is pretty awesome (a mini-gatefold with the original - white, not the pink, alas - artwork), and just for that it is worth getting.


Thanks for the feedback on the new album. Good to hear it is well recorded (as I've found some of his more recent releases to be a bit varied in that department).

I have heard the re-issue of Eyes, China Doll (a friend got it), and I did notice it was mastered at suprisingly high volume. I noticed the same thing was done with the re-issue of The Scriptures of Illumina - I have the original pressing of that album on CD, and the re-mastering was definitely a necessity in that case, as the original was very poorly mastered and/or recorded (one of the lowest volume CDs in my collection I think, but without a big dynamic range).

I haven't heard any stuff from Edward or LPD for a few years, so I'll have to catch up one of these days (I do have almost all "regular" LPD albums up to All the King's Horses, and most of Ed's solo stuff). I'm also hoping I might finally be able to catch them live when I'm in Europe a bit later this year.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist




Age: 52
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 581
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands


netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:59 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« solitaryzen » wrote:


(...)

I'm also hoping I might finally be able to catch them live when I'm in Europe a bit later this year.


Always worth visiting one of their gigs. I saw them play live 4 or 5 times, and it was a blast to see my first psych-heroes perform live. At the first gig I went to, I even waltzed with Edward!

You probably know this site already: http://www.brainwashed.com/lpd/main2.html

There you can find a lot of interesting stuff, including tour dates.

BTW, have you heard the solo album by long-time LPD guitarist Martijn de Kleer? It's called So Close Yet So Far Out and it's great.

_________________
Billions can hear, but only few can listen
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
JAP
New Member




Age: 59
Joined: 07 Feb 2007
Posts: 4
Location: Toronto, Canada


blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:50 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Here are my purchases from the last 6 weeks. Its been slow because of lay-off.

Didymos - Connected & Grief Distance
Redshift - Redshift
Ken Martin - Berlin Impressions 1 & 2, Crystal Voyage, Transparent Shadows & Spheres.
Andrew Forrest - Alpha Omega, Alchemy.
TD - Springtime In Nagasaki & (Best Of Blue Years, Pink Years for collection)
Jonn Serrie - Planetary Chronicles II & Lumina Nights.

Most listened to from this list - Didymos's Grief Distance & Redshift's debut.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
solitaryzen
One of the Coolest Member





Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 509
Location: Melbourne, Australia



PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:54 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
« solitaryzen » wrote:


(...)

I'm also hoping I might finally be able to catch them live when I'm in Europe a bit later this year.


Always worth visiting one of their gigs. I saw them play live 4 or 5 times, and it was a blast to see my first psych-heroes perform live. At the first gig I went to, I even waltzed with Edward!

You probably know this site already: http://www.brainwashed.com/lpd/main2.html

There you can find a lot of interesting stuff, including tour dates.

BTW, have you heard the solo album by long-time LPD guitarist Martijn de Kleer? It's called So Close Yet So Far Out and it's great.


Yes, I visit the brainwashed site every once in a while. I haven't heard the Martijn de Kleer solo album (I had heard he was doing some sort of a dub project, or perhaps that was one of the other guys..?).

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
redphil
One of the Coolest Member





Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 2041
Location: Manchester, UK.


blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:09 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« JAP » wrote:
Here are my purchases from the last 6 weeks. Its been slow because of lay-off.

Didymos - Connected & Grief Distance
Redshift - Redshift
Ken Martin - Berlin Impressions 1 & 2, Crystal Voyage, Transparent Shadows & Spheres.
Andrew Forrest - Alpha Omega, Alchemy.
TD - Springtime In Nagasaki & (Best Of Blue Years, Pink Years for collection)
Jonn Serrie - Planetary Chronicles II & Lumina Nights.

Most listened to from this list - Didymos's Grief Distance & Redshift's debut.


What do you think of Ken Martin's stuff ?

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist




Age: 52
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 581
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands


netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« solitaryzen » wrote:


(...)

Yes, I visit the brainwashed site every once in a while. I haven't heard the Martijn de Kleer solo album (I had heard he was doing some sort of a dub project, or perhaps that was one of the other guys..?).


I think you mean Ryan Moore. He left LPD a longer time ago to explore a solo carreer. His Twilight Circus In Dub project is quite nice, although I like Martijn de Kleer's stuff a lot better.

Niels van Hoorn(blower) also did some interesting stuff on the side that is well worth seeking out.

_________________
Billions can hear, but only few can listen
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.


 Jump to:   



Show permissions


© 2007-2018 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2018 CBACK.de
Powered by Orion based on phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
FI Theme Converted by U.K. Forumimages
All times are GMT + 2 Hours