EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Less is more?

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:21 pm    Less is more? Reply with quoteBack to top

Yesterday I watched another 'Classic Albums' documentary featuring Fleetwood Mac's legendary album 'Rumours' Apart from the unbelievable story behind the production of this million seller I was struck by a quote from the sound engineer: less is more. During the recording session of one of the tracks they decided to strip most of what they previously recorded and keep the essentials. The result was pure and authentic.

Is more Less?

Same question but now in a different situation: drowning in what is offered to us or just focus on a part of what reaches our eyes and ears? For years I tended to 'consume' as much as possible but more and more I became frustrated to 'miss' things until I decided to make choices and pick out just a few 'items' and gave these the 'privilege' to test my senses. I experienced more pleasure by the limitations that I 'enforced' myself. 

How do you organise your listening 'sessions' and how do you cope with the enormous supply of music on CD, as download, offered as podcast or in the old-fashioned way via radio and television?

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Artemi
One of the Coolest Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

That's a serious problem here, I mean the overdose of music. Basically I do the same thing as you - re-listen only the stuff I really like, while everything else... well, I might give it another chance someday.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
softroom
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Less is more.
More is also more. Only more so.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Artemi » wrote:
while everything else... well, I might give it another chance someday.

I am finding that stuff I didn't particularly like 10+ years ago I can now appreciate. I often delve into the dusty shelf to see if my tastes have changed. And they certainly have.

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« redphil » wrote:
« Artemi » wrote:
while everything else... well, I might give it another chance someday.

I am finding that stuff I didn't particularly like 10+ years ago I can now appreciate. I often delve into the dusty shelf to see if my tastes have changed. And they certainly have.

That's good thing to do. Because, taste certainly does change with the passage of time.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"A huge arrangement only goes to disguise a very small song." (Mike Batt)

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:16 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:

Stephen

Hm, well said, but in his case the word 'disguise' doesn't clarify if 'small song' is good or bad, because he made some pretty huge arrangements himself...

Tarot Suite anyone???

Anyway, I tend to agree that less can be more, but more is not necessarily less.

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think 'less is more' is meaningless unless you know what you have less of and what that gives you more of, if indeed it does

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
softroom
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:52 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Also "everything counts in large amounts", to quote Depeche Mode, pointlessly.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:

Stephen

Hm, well said, but in his case the word 'disguise' doesn't clarify if 'small song' is good or bad, because he made some pretty huge arrangements himself...

Telling from the context in which he said this, I think he was talking about small musical ideas (the interview I lifted this quote from was from Keyboards magazine, December 1988 issue).

Even though he is very fond of huge arrangements and orchestras (and especially the ladies in the orchestra, as he admitted in the interview quoted above), I think his songs are great in terms of musical craftmanship.

Stephen

M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:

Telling from the context in which he said this, I think he was talking about small musical ideas (the interview I lifted this quote from was from Keyboards magazine, December 1988 issue).

Even though he is very fond of huge arrangements and orchestras (and especially the ladies in the orchestra, as he admitted in the interview quoted above), I think his songs are great in terms of musical craftmanship.

Stephen

Okay, I thought he meant that crap songs sometimes get gilded with huge arrangements to make them sound impressive while they're not. I get the context now... And I agree on his craftsmanship as well.

Cool Member

moldova.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Some say that we tend to become what we consume, what we hear and see. And if you listen too much bad music, those silly pop melodies will haunt you like ghosts in your subconscious for there rest of your life.

But in relationship to music production, the concept less is more hides the risk of falling into the other extreme, as nowadays there are many musical creations that seem underdeveloped. Like a painter that stops in the middle of a half finished work and begins to admire it. Investing more artistic and intellectual work and more essence in a composition are always leading to positive results. The cult of minimalism tends to turn from a conceptual notion into a new dogma.

Die Stadt

spain.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:49 pm    Re: Less is more? Reply with quoteBack to top

Concerning the second part of the initial post, I totally agree and I got to the same conclusion. In the last decade or so, there's been a great change in the way we can reach new music. There was a time when record stores were the only way to get albums and they filtered what was available. Today, there is no filter but ourselves. It can be overwhelming and, somehow, one has to accept that it is impossible to listen to everything out there. Which album is good? Which musician is not worth the time? It's a daunting task to get to good stuff, and it is necessary to limit oneself, eventually, to really enjoy just a few musicians or albums.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
RemoteViewing81

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:10 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

In terms of notes, less is more. It's why I like ambient so much.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:04 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« RemoteViewing81 » wrote:
In terms of notes, less is more. It's why I like ambient so much.

In that context, Steve Roach once said in an interview (ca. 1987) that he can't make much of jazz musicians who can squeeze a hundred notes into one bar -- to him, it was more important to squeeze the *right* note into that bar.

Which, I believe, is hitting the nail on ist head.

Stephen

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de