EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

EM and Space, maybe it's too obvious..

M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:49 pm    EM and Space, maybe it's too obvious.. Reply with quoteBack to top

A post in the Cool EM Links section got me thinking about an old topic that keeps popping up in my mind every now and then: why is there such an obvious link between EM and every last bit of Space imagery (I'll include math like fractals in there too)?

Did anybody ever try to determine what percentage of EM releases has a link to some Space topic, be it in artwork or titles or concept? Would it be strange to suggest that 'more than 50%' might be a realistic prediction?

Not that I mind though, I like space-related themes, but I'm so very curious if anyone else has wondered about this link that has become so obvious over the years? I have some idea about how it started, but an even more interesting question is: why did it last? There is such an abundance of mental images that can be 'seen' by your inner eye when listening to EM, so why be restricted to planets and asteroids and techno-stuff like fractals?

Cool Member

moldova.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe because EM music current was initiated in the period of the beginnings of space exploration, in a time when the topic of space was so actively present in people's minds?
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
circuit

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:07 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« megatone » wrote:
Maybe because EM music current was initiated in the period of the beginnings of space exploration, in a time when the topic of space was so actively present in people's minds?

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

As a kid images of mission control with its banks of dials and switches wasn't too far removed from images of new synthesizers. Both images suggest the manipulation of electronics and new technology to explore and push boundaries.

It's an interesting question and a similar one occurred to me recently. I was wondering what theme would be good for an album cover and I found myself automatically considering the usual space images, and yes even some fractals. Then I thought better of it because while suggestive, it's hardly unique.

But these images are familiar to listeners, kind of a cue - if I see a picture of a nebula in space on a EM cover then I kind of know what to expect.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:16 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"More than 50%" is quite an optimistic reckoning I´d say. "More than 85%" seems more realistic to me.

I think this is one bad cliché although I enjoy playing in planetariums. No need to be bothered with a lightshow of sorts.

But a cliché I find even worse is being pigeon-holed in that "Trekkie" type of community... this is something I try to avoid like the plague.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
RemoteViewing81
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:34 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think Carl Sagan's popular PBS show COSMOS had a big influence with future
EM/Space connections. The Vangelis soundtrack added so much to that program that it became the standard. EM and the night sky go together like peanut butter
and jelly. I would love to here Jonn Serrie perform in a planetarium someday!

if your in the mood.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klPlLtS6-9A&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh+div-1r-2-HM

bewoest

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:59 am    Re: EM and Space, maybe it's too obvious.. Reply with quoteBack to top

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
why is there such an obvious link between EM and every last bit of Space imagery (I'll include math like fractals in there too)?

I guess it is a sort of unconsidered escapism flavoured with a bit of social anxiety disorder which leads the imagination in such an unpersonal direction so often. I would even assume that it could be also interpreted as a manifestation of fantasies of omnipotence.

M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:46 pm    Re: EM and Space, maybe it's too obvious.. Reply with quoteBack to top

« bewoest » wrote:

I guess it is a sort of unconsidered escapism flavoured with a bit of social anxiety disorder which leads the imagination in such an unpersonal direction so often. I would even assume that it could be also interpreted as a manifestation of fantasies of omnipotence.

Spoken like a true psychiatrist Bernhard

Actually, I kinda guessed this myself, although in my head it sounded a lot easier. All I wanted to say - without stepping on too many toes - was that I find it rather strange that some people who are able to create an intricate art form like electronic music seem to have a rather limited imagination when it comes to thematic issues. The bottom line is that I think that EM could be much broader than just space, math & sci-fi, and maybe even attract a bigger audience by expanding into new conceptual territory...

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:04 pm    Re: EM and Space, maybe it's too obvious.. Reply with quoteBack to top

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:

The bottom line is that I think that EM could be much broader than just space, math & sci-fi, and maybe even attract a bigger audience by expanding into new conceptual territory...

I am not bothered that the combination of Electronic Music and certain themes of space and sience seems to fit together so 'nicely'.

For me the main problem rather is that there is no any variation. There is nothing to discover, there is no surprise. Just a dull repetition of all the same sounds, images, titles.

I am very conviced that the audience still has to discover their own meanings within the music as well as in the artwork etc. Wouldn't it be much more overwhelming and stunning to end up somewhere deep in space if the title and the artwork didn't already foreclosed it all?

I mean, watching the movie "Lord of the Rings" was really nice, but when I read the book back then it was way much more haunting and insistent to me. On the strange green book cover there were just really strange, almost abstract illustrations that didn't really said anything about the actual story line - just as one of a whole lot of examples I could name in this context...

Last edited by bewoest on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:10 pm    Re: EM and Space, maybe it's too obvious.. Reply with quoteBack to top

« bewoest » wrote:

I was about tho let my thoughts follow a similar alley but I wasn´t keen on taking the bashing again. As we all know, I am the reason why people are put off by electronic music.

On a slightly different note one mustn´t forget the drugs that were involved in the making of many early EM tracks and the associations this music provoked in similarly prepared listeners.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My partner in crime Mr.Daniel refuses to have anything to do with space themes in any of his titles or artwork exactly because of the cliched link between EM and space.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

not about space but about something else....an oldie from 2009

http://www.mediafire.com/?b30e2i6d7is6z

noodlesoup ;p

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think the space link is rather clicheed and dated now. I don't listen much to music that has the space feeling. When I play, say, Patrick O'Hearn or Erik Wøllo, my mind wanders to earthly spaces (deserts, mountains, woods and seas) rather than to space itself, which I find quite uninteresting.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
I think the space link is rather clicheed and dated now. I don't listen much to music that has the space feeling. When I play, say, Patrick O'Hearn or Erik Wøllo, my mind wanders to earthly spaces (deserts, mountains, woods and seas) rather than to space itself, which I find quite uninteresting.

when I listen to Schulze's Timewind I am flying like an eagle over high moutains

listen to TD's Encore I am flaoting in a submarine in the deep oceans Wink

so no space for me, but listening to Steve Roach I get the feeling being in the darkest cave on a deserted planet Wink

Feb Birthed

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.synthtopia.com/Articles/ElectronicMusicStylesNewA.html

That sums it up pretty well.

New Age/EM/lighter ambient can sound very expansive. Like space, there seems to be no borders within the music. New Age/EM usually drifts, evolves and floats.

Other connections are astrology and otherworldly life forms (aliens).

With most New Age/EM being very reflective and meditative the parallels seems to fit.
Then there's the "nature" "mother earth" connections but that's for another thread.

Feb Birthed

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« megatone » wrote:

I think that's part of it.

As RemoteViewing81 said, shows like Cosmos also influenced the space/em connection.

Off topic.. The Space race influenced movies, tv, radio of the 1950s too. Alot of sci-fi, alien, space, radio, etc films, tv shows, etc were all over the place back then.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de