EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

EM and Space, maybe it's too obvious..

bewoest
One of the Coolest Member

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« modulator_esp » wrote:
there's a reason why things become cliches

Indeed. But who cares...?

« phaedra_2008 » wrote:
For me EM & Space is a match made in Heaven

For me EM & Space is a match made in Hell - just since it is too obvious. By now I wouldn't even call it 'match' anymore, rather than 'curse'...!

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:40 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Seren » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:
Of course the whole subject of space is fascinating, no doubt about that, but I think the original question was why space and electronic music seem to go together like the proverbial ball-and-chain.

This question has so far been unanswered Wink.

Stephen

It's cos when I play my music to people they space out Very Happy

You mean, they voluntarily leave the concert? You must be pretty good to accomplish *that* Smile.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

hmm - not got to live playing since many years - just watched people drift off when playing CDs to them........ Very Happy

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:11 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
For me EM & Space is a match made in Hell - just since it is too obvious. By now I wouldn't even call it 'match' anymore, rather than 'curse'...!

Horses for Courses as the saying goes, if I go to a Planetarium Space show it is obvious what I would expect for the soundtrack.

One such disappointing album was Bernd Scholl's-Cosmic Symphony~Live at the Planetarium, nice Nebula on the cover but the music is like a minimalistic Kitaro new age complete with flutes, water streams and chirping.
It may well be that the Planetarium was used just as a venue and projections were river streams and flower fields, but the music is nothing like what the cover suggests.
A mismatch with no Heavenly origins Laughing

Last edited by phaedra2008 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:29 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:

One such disappointing album was Bernd Scholl's-Cosmic Symphony~Live at the Planetarium, nice Nebula on the cover but the music is like a minimalistic Kitaro new age complete with flutes, water streams and chirping birds chirping.

Sounding like the proverbial old coot again all I can say is that you picked one of the worst examples for not only plnetarium music in particular but electronic music in general. Bernd had one decent album out (his first one) but that was nearly thirty years ago.

We used to play at the same festival many, many moons ago, and I was looking forward to his gig. It was so terribly flimsy musically (but so was mine, so what do I know?) that I felt embarassed for him.

Stephen

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:48 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
all I can say is that you picked one of the worst examples for not only plnetarium music in particular but electronic music in general

Stephen,
I had the same feelings, Tales of Fantasy was good and I was gald when he reissued it on CD.
But then I took a break from buying EM, when I got back "with more cash than brains" I bought his other 8 CD's, what I heard was not what I expected.
I think there is enough good music to make a single very good album out of the 8 CD's.

Feb Birthed

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:19 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
Quote:

Horses for Courses as the saying goes, if I go to a Planetarium Space show it is obvious what I would expect for the soundtrack.

One such disappointing album was Bernd Scholl's-Cosmic Symphony~Live at the Planetarium, nice Nebula on the cover but the music is like a minimalistic Kitaro new age complete with flutes, water streams and chirping.
It may well be that the Planetarium was used just as a venue and projections were river streams and flower fields, but the music is nothing like what the cover suggests.
A mismatch with no Heavenly origins Laughing

Yeah Bernd's music was on the very "light" and fluffy end of the New Age/EM spectrum. A waste of time for anyone who likes a little "adventure" in their music.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Feb Birthed

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:26 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« bewoest » wrote:
« modulator_esp » wrote:
there's a reason why things become cliches

Indeed. But who cares...?

« phaedra_2008 » wrote:
For me EM & Space is a match made in Heaven

It seems like so many artists who lack talent just go through the motions of putting space imagery into the music and artwork.
Do you think there's a reason why "New Age/EM' gets a bad rap from music fans? Maybe it's because of the 25 years of substandard music that has been flowing from people who want to be like TD, KS, Jarre, etc. Its not that people don't understand the music. It's because the themes, sounds, etc are outdated. Many of my friends who like techno, experimetal, etc music also dig early New Age/EM. It's just that there's not that much interestiing stuff that's come out over the last couple of decades.
"planetarium" music is just plain boring these days to alot of people..

EM154
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:12 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

There is a Big difference between substandard Em and New age IMHO
Feb Birthed

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:16 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« EM154 » wrote:
There is a Big difference between substandard Em and New age IMHO

Huh? Just so you know where I'm coming from. I consider Robert Fox's 'Short Stories' as very average light New Age music. No disrespect to Robert or those who like his music... but.. it's just too light for me to get anything out of it. It's like I've heard the same album 100 times before.

EM154
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

On this we do agree, but did you get my point?
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:45 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

You'll find that EM fans rarely venture into the New Age which also got subdivided into Healing, meditation, Ethnic, Spiritual, etc, etc.
There is not much in common here either.

This Saturday I am going to see ZZ Top at a car racing stadium, maybe the show should have been at a planetarium?

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:17 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This would have rocked the planets... Id love to see that, if only once.

Stephen

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll try to sneak in a photo camera, see what happens Laughing

Feb Birthed

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
You'll find that EM fans rarely venture into the New Age which also got subdivided into Healing, meditation, Ethnic, Spiritual, etc, etc.
There is not much in common here either.

Actually alot of what is called "EM" is also considered "New Age". That's why I type "New Age/EM" alot. Im not going to debate that again.
Call it what you like and I will do the same. No need to try to explain New Age away by labeling it as just "healing, mediation, etc) thought aot of "EM/New Age" contains those specific elements.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de