EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

What is your favourite EM decade?

Poll :: What is your favourite EM decade?

70's - Quality is more important than quantity
50%
 50%  [ 9 ]
80's - I like MIDI sequencing, early digital synths, soundtracks and LOGOS
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
90's - Gimme that NODE album, I don't care for the rest / I love techno
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
00's and beyond - It's good to have a choice...
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 18

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:43 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
To me, EM finally turned sour when everyone was embracing boring four-to-the-floor rhythms

Which commands much bigger audiences and listeners as well as sales than the confined to the corner niche that is EM like berlin school etc, which most call musical wallpaper or new age music.

There is a lot of crossover now between BS and Techno, where most EM artists are adding those types of rhythms to their music.

Artemi
One of the Coolest Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:57 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Syn » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:
To me, EM finally turned sour when everyone was embracing boring four-to-the-floor rhythms

Which commands much bigger audiences and listeners as well as sales than the confined to the corner niche that is EM like berlin school etc, which most call musical wallpaper or new age music.

There is a lot of crossover now between BS and Techno, where most EM artists are adding those types of rhythms to their music.

The problem is that in 2014, this is terribly, terribly old. It is so old-fashioned and cheesy that I'd rather listen to a Beatles record (not a Beatles fan here). Shocked

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Naus

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:16 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It's funny to read comments considering 90s rhythms to be old while at the same time the 'ideal' in the EM scene for many seems to be rehashing of early 70s TD.

I suppose some believe innovation is not something that belongs in the genre?

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I suppose everyone has a 'classic' moment in EM, by which all others become compared.

Mine is Zeit and Irrlicht - so anything with rhythms in is 'old and passe', nice to listen to occasionally but......

....although I do feel this to some extent I am pushing my tongue into my cheek.....

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I do not like electronic music that is overtly "pop". Pop is good -- for pop music and pop culture. The common misconception in EM is that "rhythm" and "pop" automatically implies "modern" -- which it is not. Techno, house, trance, dance and club music has stagnated for more than 20 years now -- and it hasn´t aged quite as well as other music that had been made prior to it. A Beatles song still stands up as what it is -- a good song (whether or not you like the Beatles -- or songs, for that matter -- would be a different question altogether). 1992 techno sounds, erm, just like 1992 techno ("Rhythm is a dancer" makes me cringe), not even like a good song.

I turned to electronic music because a) I have always felt attracted by the mysterious kind of sound it employed, and b) the formal and structural liberty it allowed for. That´s what I find in the early works. Rehashing something that is definitely gone for good is daft -- nothing wrong with trying to capture the spirit though. That spirit was going on a quest for new forms and means of expression, far remote from Anglo-American pop and rock music or the 12-bar scheme of Blues -- ask Edgar Froese if you don´t believe me.

The fact that electronic equipment has been widely embraced these days has not necessarily delivered musically or aesthetically more advanced work.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Stephen. If you incorporare Pop elements that are very tied to a certain time period and momentary fashion, don't be surprised that the results will sound dated in a 5-years period (or sooner). I mean, the fashion's gone and suddenly your piece is old-fashioned because of that. If you are in EM for aesthetic exploration, this is not likely to happen. I mean all these Irrlichts, Zeits, Phaedras etc, they still sound fresh because they are not tied to any epoch. They don't use elements (rhythms, sounds, melodies etc.) that were actually fashionable back when they were created.

softroom
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Dance music works really well for... dancing. This is something the young folks do and really enjoy, apparently. Me too, with appropriate chemical encouragement (my hips don't move otherwise).
It ain't trying to be Beethoven but despite the simplicity I do sometimes hear innovation, perhaps cos a few pals are psytrance DJs and they won't let me escape.

From what I can tell it's more about the production, feel and 'journey' than an attempt to make any great musical statement.However, I'm sure to sheep other sheep appear different. Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« softroom » wrote:
Dance music works really well for... dancing. [...]

"A sane man will not dance." (one of these ancient Roman blokes.. was it Catull, Cicero, or Seneca...? Can´t remember. Wise words nonetheless)

Stephen

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As far as I'm concerned with 90ies dance beats - or any other once (or never) fashionable items I might use (or not) in my music (or like in music I listen to):
I just don't care if it's dated or not. If I personally like it, and if it helps me to tell the story I want to tell, than I might use it, at least as far as my abilities allow.
In the case of a 4-to-the-floor beat, they are sufficient... Wink

Fashions come and go and then they come back again etc. When I was in my late teens, the music of the day was 80ies pop, which I utterly disliked (well, most of it, at least...). "My" music was that of the (then) unfashionable late 60ies and 70ies instead (...well, some of it rather unfashionable music even when it was new). Then in the 90ies, there seemed to come a general move back to the 70ies. And a few years later to the 80ies again.

My general impression is that today stylistic elements of any era I'm aware of are coexisting and get remixed and recombinated again and again - sometimes to good effect, sometimes to terrible.

If there is any genuine music of today, I admit I'm not aware of it.

Rock, soul, funk, punk, metal, blues, techno, singer/songwriter, folk, hip hop, drum'n'bass, even glitch or dubstep: all has been there, most of it is still there or may be back in one form or another...

My idea is to do whatever I like to and not to care how it relates to whatever fashion, but rather how it helps expression. If something genuine is expressed, I guess that's what gives a piece of music the power to last, or stay meaningful, even after it's time of fashion is over...

By the way, sometimes I like certain elements not in spite of but just because of the fact that they are an old cliché. It may not be original, but sometimes it has something archetypical...

Last edited by BruecknerAmbient on Tue May 13, 2014 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

softroom
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:08 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
« softroom » wrote:
Dance music works really well for... dancing. [...]

"A sane man will not dance." (one of these ancient Roman blokes.. was it Catull, Cicero, or Seneca...? Can´t remember. Wise words nonetheless)

Stephen

Sounds almost like a Nietzsche misquote.
I prefer "We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once." In fact it's the basis for my novel 'Bogus Focus'. That and Special Brew. Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It is hard to disagree with some of Michael's statements of course.

And, yes, dancing is good. Smile

SynthexOne
Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:57 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Michael. I don't really care if something is fashionable or not, I only care wether I like it or not.

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, no surprise that I don't agree with dronescape and Artemi - I usually don't. I was a "child" of the early 90s dance music, and I still enjoy it, far more than 70s-inspired Berlin School and non-melodic sound collages. One of my favorite tracks is Electrotete's I Love You from 1991, it still is because it still sounds fresh and exciting after all those years. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af0-7bislu8

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
Well, no surprise that I don't agree with dronescape and Artemi - I usually don't. I was a "child" of the early 90s dance music, and I still enjoy it, far more than 70s-inspired Berlin School and non-melodic sound collages. One of my favorite tracks is Electrotete's I Love You from 1991, it still is because it still sounds fresh and exciting after all those years. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af0-7bislu8

Interestingly, this track doesn't seem to have a 4-to-the-floor beat... Laughing

I also still have a few trance compilations from the 90ies, some more commercial, some less, and some of that stuff still gives me kicks and sends shivers down my spine. Which shows: it's never the style, but the ability and expression of the artist(s)...

There are even some country and hip hop tracks that I dig (...not really much, though - after all and in the end, I'm still more of a non-melodic sound collage boy).

Wink

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:09 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

If I may quote Mr. Schulze in that context:

"The right rhythm for you is the rhythm you can walk along with. It´s got exactly the same pace as your heartbeat." I think it´s from one of those interviews scattered across one of these multi-CD boxes. This is exactly the problem I have with the sort of music quoted above: My internal clock-rate is different.

I´m more into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8znmHZIL8v0

This is about the maximum of poppishness (if that´s a word) I can warm up to.

Oh, it´s fairly old. Just like me.

Stephen

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de