EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

What is your favourite EM decade?

Poll :: What is your favourite EM decade?

70's - Quality is more important than quantity
50%
 50%  [ 9 ]
80's - I like MIDI sequencing, early digital synths, soundtracks and LOGOS
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
90's - Gimme that NODE album, I don't care for the rest / I love techno
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
00's and beyond - It's good to have a choice...
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 18

Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:52 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I believe the only difference that counts is that between honest music, made out the inner need to make it, and music made with an ulterior motive - fame, need for compliments or acceptance, wanting to be hip, wanting to sound like everybody else, whatever. Honest music is fine, the rest generally isn't. There are honest pop songs, and there are non-honest Berlin school or anything-else tracks. And then there are some songs or tracks in any genre that might not be honest, but are nice anyway. Rejecting something only because it belongs in a genre rather than another means to deprive oneself of the immense emotional wealth music can be.
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:39 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Mac of BIOnighT » wrote:
I believe the only difference that counts is that between honest music, made out the inner need to make it, and music made with an ulterior motive (...) Rejecting something only because it belongs in a genre rather than another means to deprive oneself of the immense emotional wealth music can be.

I couldn't agree more! Very Happy

« dronescape » wrote:
If I may quote Mr. Schulze in that context:

"The right rhythm for you is the rhythm you can walk along with. It´s got exactly the same pace as your heartbeat." I think it´s from one of those interviews scattered across one of these multi-CD boxes. This is exactly the problem I have with the sort of music quoted above: My internal clock-rate is different.

Actually, the interview is on KS' homepage, too (not sure what was there first - the sets or the homepage. Anyway...).

But speaking of KS and his CD boxes:
Two or three day ago I've listened to one of those CD's (not sure, but I think it was what is now CD 2 of LVE 5, so the track probably is "Titanische Tage" from 1976) which, among other things, features a 4-to-the-floor bass drum. Not the acoustic variety, but a synthetic one. Thought that might have been a rather early example...

« dronescape » wrote:
Oh, it´s fairly old. Just like me.

Now, come on, Grandpa - just 41! Laughing

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Jon
One of the Coolest Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

BruecknerAmbient, you're right, the Electrotete track doesn't have a four to the floor beat, the rhythm is far more developed than that.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:52 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I am a 90ies kid, however influencial all decades were,
this would have been my vote : )

70ies: essential pioneering time
80ies: the most pop decade
90ies: the underground decade
00ies: openminded to all back decades

Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Jaja - I only hope the 00's will be able to create something, too...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Mac : I think we are very creative in the 00ies. We musically dream towards the stars with the roots in our bagpacks : )
Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I hope so Smile I must admit, however, that these years lack a precise identity, something they can be identified with in the future. There's too much chaos, people aren't looking back and they aren't looking forward, either: they just keep their eyes on their cell phone or to the ground, and carefully avoid looking inside of themselves. No truly outstanding work of art can be generated in this situation, so I really hope things change soon...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I exactly understand what you mean. To me the 00ies is the cosmic decade. I would have voted for the 00ies if i knew that we already had reached that point that you are wisely hoping for!
Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

All we can do to make it happen is change ourselves, and keep hoping.
And now off for a walk in the sun, have a nice day Smile

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de