EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

the best EM artist or group

Poll :: the best electronic music artist or band from any era

Tangerine dream
34%
 34%  [ 10 ]
Jean Michel Jarre
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Vangelis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kitaro
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tomita
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
something\somebody else....
48%
 48%  [ 14 ]
Klaus Schulze
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

barbakane
Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:56 pm    schulze Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
Added Schulze to the list...

i stand corrected by the EM gods!! Embarassed

but...

mm.

maybe a subject for a different post, but what are the best top 5 albums of Mr Schulze?

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Gods? Personally that term makes cringe quite a bit.
gustavojobim
Very Cool Member

brazil.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

That's an impossible question to answer...

TD has covered a vast array of bases, set a lot of firsts and excelled at many of them. The Schmoelling period is absolutely unique - as far as I know.
KS is transcendental and inspirational in his naivety and intensity. Also a great sound researcher.
JMJ creates great moods and fulfilling, emotional symphonic works.
Vangelis is pure genius. At his best, the music seems to come from the beyond!
And Kraftwerk crafted diamond-perfect masterpieces, with amazing sound design. While Vangelis's most memorable melodies seem inhuman in their simplicity, Kraftwerk's bare but perfect melodies feel like they were created with a lot of passionate labor.

Which one is the best? I have no idea.
Which one would be my favourite? Also impossible!

And I don't think TD's sound design is unimaginative - maybe after Franke left - but again I refer to the Schmoelling period.

now playing - KS big in japan. it's pretty cool - even though there's a feeling that not a lot is being played by hand, the music is some of the best I heard in recent KS albums.

Feb Birthed
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I put "something else" because it's too objective and there's way too many variables involved.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:51 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

hmmm I personally never thought about to put Vangelis under EM, he uses synths, but Wakeman does that also.

about the Schmoeling period, I do not understand what is unique of it? is it because JS could really play? or is it because they started to use fabric presets.?

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:35 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Phrozenlight » wrote:
hmmm I personally never thought about to put Vangelis under EM, he uses synths, but Wakeman does that also.

Have you ever listened to Albedo 0.39, Spiral, Soil Festivities, Blade Runner, ...? If that ain't EM, nothing is.

« Phrozenlight » wrote:
about the Schmoeling period, I do not understand what is unique of it? is it because JS could really play? or is it because they started to use fabric presets.?

For me it's because Schmoelling added melody and harmony to TD's music. Admitted, TD already started that road on Force Majeure, but Schmoelling made it perfect. I also think the combination EF, CF, JS just worked.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:51 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
Have you ever listened to Albedo 0.39, Spiral, Soil Festivities, Blade Runner, ...? If that ain't EM, nothing is.

How many of his output is like that?? Most albums fall for me under Symphonic Music, btw I have almost all his vinyl, so I know the records Wink

Quote:

For me it's because Schmoelling added melody and harmony to TD's music. Admitted, TD already started that road on Force Majeure, but Schmoelling made it perfect. I also think the combination EF, CF, JS just worked.

Is That Unigue?? Jarre did the same, The change TD made after Cyclone was only going poppy (at least in my ears)

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I must say i scratched my head too, but it all got started for me with Kitaro, then Vangelis, TD, KS , pretty much in that order. I love them all, never got into Tomita though, thought i tried it and didnt like it, please feel free to recommend his best, i will experiment.
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« stingray64 » wrote:
I love them all, never got into Tomita though (...) please feel free to recommend his best, i will experiment.

I have to confess, I think I listened to one or two Tomita albums back when I was fiveteen, and don't remember too much of them, except that most of it seemed to be classical music "EM-ized".

I guess one day I should invest some time and find out more about him...

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:
« stingray64 » wrote:
I love them all, never got into Tomita though (...) please feel free to recommend his best, i will experiment.

I have to confess, I think I listened to one or two Tomita albums back when I was fiveteen, and don't remember too much of them, except that most of it seemed to be classical music "EM-ized".

I guess one day I should invest some time and find out more about him...

My thoughts exactly, but my tastes have change now,who knows maybe i will like it now, really never bought any of his stuff, just sampled, wasnt appealing to my sound palette at the time.

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

about tomita, he had between his EM-recorded classic music some great sounds used. It added a special sound to those well-known classic music. I recommended "Kosmos" , "The Planets", "The Bermuda Triangle" and "Dawn Chorus" to start with. Wink

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:33 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Phrozenlight » wrote:
about tomita, he had between his EM-recorded classic music some great sounds used. It added a special sound to those well-known classic music. I recommended "Kosmos" , "The Planets", "The Bermuda Triangle" and "Dawn Chorus" to start with. Wink

Thank You, Bert!

I'll check them out...

Smile

gustavojobim
Very Cool Member

brazil.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:39 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes Schmoelling could play, added melody etc., but more than that, the "combination just worked" and the sum was greater than the parts. JS's composition style did wonders to TD's established sound, look at Horizon, Mojave Plan, Quichotte 1, Sphinx Lightning.

Before JS, TD's long pieces were mostly improvisations over extended sequencer rhythm-based sections, or several sections joined together with not much relation between each other. So just as TD was turning to shorter music in the late 70s, JS added scope and purpose to TD's long compositions, and creative use of timbres. TD was again able to do more fulfilling music. The structure of Mojave Plan for example harkens back to Phaedra.

Unfortunately he joined a bit late in the game, when they started turning to less unique sounds and shorter compositions. Without JS, maybe TD's best phase would have stopped in 1979 instead of 1986 and we'd have jumped from Force Majeure to something like Optical Race. I wonder how it would have worked if he had joined in 1975! I never found anything sounding quite like the 80-85 TD - only in JS's solo works.

SynthexOne
Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Definitely Jarre

electrobs

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

... in strictly electronic sense for me (the absolute winner) is ...
CONRAD SCHNITZLER

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de