EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

PPK - Resurection vs. Edouard Atremiev - Siberiade

phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:12 pm    PPK - Resurection vs. Edouard Atremiev - Siberiade Reply with quoteBack to top

Remember the catchy Resurection hit from 2001 by the Russian PPK guys?

Well I still like it, but at the time I thought yeah, very clever track based on Space-Magic Fly hit from the 70's.
That is probably still the case for overall production but the actual melody was adapted from E. Artemiev's soundtrack/main theme from the 1979 movie Siberiade.
I find it very good, a bit of a French dramatic touch to it, check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJj9y4t9UnU

or side by side comparison:
http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/25412/PPK-ResuRection_Eduard%20Artemyev-Theme%20From%20Siberiade/

The soundtrack was released in France at the time (probably in Russia too) and is quite rare/expensive:
http://www.discogs.com/Edouard-Artemiev-Siberiade-Bande-Originale-Du-Film-DAndr%C3%A9-Kontchalovski/release/1257506

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I remember, it was a big hit back then (2001). It did nothing for me, though.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Naus

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Loved the melody of that hit, cool to hear its by Artemyev Smile

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My favorite by Artemiev is actually his music from the 1990 film L' Autostop of all things. Urga is also good. He is still active writing film music. He also worked on a few Hollywood films.

Siberiade sounded nice, Artemyev was clearly Russia's Vangelis in many ways. Siberiade was directed by Andrei Konchalovsky, who I just now found out is director Nikita Mikhalkov's brother!

Konchalovsky also hired composers like Tangerine Dream (Shy People) and Harold Faltermeyer (Tango & Cash), so he has good taste in music... Cool

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
My favorite by Artemiev is actually his music from the 1990 film L' Autostop of all things. Urga is also good. He is still active writing film music. He also worked on a few Hollywood films.

Siberiade sounded nice, Artemyev was clearly Russia's Vangelis in many ways. Siberiade was directed by Andrei Konchalovsky, who I just now found out is director Nikita Mikhalkov's brother!

Konchalovsky also hired composers like Tangerine Dream (Shy People) and Harold Faltermeyer (Tango & Cash), so he has good taste in music... Cool

I know Artemiev's family, know his son personally, and, yes, they like EM (after all, they are e-musicians themselves), they are also friends of Mikhalkov-Konchalovsky family so these directors often hire Artemiev (or other EM composers) to write soundtracks.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:17 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I know Artemiev's family, know his son personally, and, yes, they like EM

I got some 7 of Artemiy's CD too and know he has more.

What puzzled me about his father's earlier compositions was that they did not get reissued on CD, for example Solaris came out at the time on the Mleodia label as well as Columbia Japan, and that was it.
What was reissued on CD on his Electroshock label were partial re-recordings of Solaris, Stalker, The Mirror.
I assume he no longer had access/rights to the original recording, maybe they no longer exist anyway, you know anything about this Artemi?

Siberiada sounds nice but I won't pay 300 Euros for a mint copy of this LP only knowing one track from it.

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:15 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
Quote:
I know Artemiev's family, know his son personally, and, yes, they like EM

I got some 7 of Artemiy's CD too and know he has more.

What puzzled me about his father's earlier compositions was that they did not get reissued on CD, for example Solaris came out at the time on the Mleodia label as well as Columbia Japan, and that was it.
What was reissued on CD on his Electroshock label were partial re-recordings of Solaris, Stalker, The Mirror.
I assume he no longer had access/rights to the original recording, maybe they no longer exist anyway, you know anything about this Artemi?

Siberiada sounds nice but I won't pay 300 Euros for a mint copy of this LP only knowing one track from it.

I know that Artemiy is perhaps not much interested in re-releasing Edward's vintage works as there's no guarantee that such a release would be viable financially. Besides, Edward is still very active in music (non-EM), and there are tons of contemporary works that could have been released - all the soundtracks, plays, operas etc. I suppose it is currently the priority of Electroshock to release current output of well-established artists such as E. Artemiev and A. Artemiev, as well as new works by obscure musicians (Antanas Jasenka, Valery Siver, Yney etc etc). It's a bit of an (involuntary?) change of focus. There are many archived recordings, starting from his earlier ANS phase through Boomerang EM / Rock group and up to his digital / orchestral works but what (and when) ever gets released is a subject of debate.

I should also correct you a bit, as Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker (re-recorded pieces) was initially an LP release on Melodiya from 1989 and was later re-released on Electroshock with a bonus track.

Jon, concerning the Vangelis connection, I see what you're getting at, but stylistically I would compare him more to Klaus Schulze in his most dramatic but really Artemiev exists pretty much in a world of his own.

I get more of a Froese connection when I think of Artemiev. Both are fairly-known EM pioneers in their own countries, both worked a lot on soudtracks, both used to re-record ("tangentizing") their pieces (Froese in a lot of recent albums and Artemiev in "Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker", with great results I must add). Both have sons born in 1970. Both sons have a similar complexion and both are fairly successful EM musicians themselves. Funny, that.

Rolling Eyes

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the info.
The Tarkovski movies achieved a bit of cult status and since E.Artemiev worked with him on several occasions, there was hope for the original music to be released too.
I do have the Electroshock CD of Solaris/Stalker/Mirror which have been heavily reworked with excellent results.
I like the last track "Dedication To Andrei Tarkovsky", an epic 9:23 min composition, very Schulzian but more majestic.

I also have the Solaris OST CD on the Japanese Toei label, but that was a bootleg with the LP rip, the original does have a different atmosphere despite the many short tracks.

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
Thanks for the info.
The Tarkovski movies achieved a bit of cult status and since E.Artemiev worked with him on several occasions, there was hope for the original music to be released too.
I do have the Electroshock CD of Solaris/Stalker/Mirror which have been heavily reworked with excellent results.
I like the last track "Dedication To Andrei Tarkovsky", an epic 9:23 min composition, very Schulzian but more majestic.

I also have the Solaris OST CD on the Japanese Toei label, but that was a bootleg with the LP rip, the original does have a different atmosphere despite the many short tracks.

I agree, Dedication to A.T. is the crown jewel of this album. It is for me one of the strongest EM pieces ever (and not just in EM) and certainly in my top 10 or whatever. It gives me the goosebumps everytime I listen to it.

P.S. Tarkovskiy is my favourite director.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:20 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks, I found a mint copy of the Siberiada LP, I'll see what turns up.

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Artemi, are you familiar with (film) composer Vladimir Horunzhy? He worked in Hollywood for many years, but moved back to Russia around 10 years ago. He scored one of my absolute favorite films, Stephen King's The Langoliers (1995).

Maybe Artemyev and Vangelis are more similar physically than musically.

And yes, I always thought Artemi Artemyev looked like Jerome!

Some of Eduard Artemyev's orchestral works did nothing for me though, like Burnt By The Sun, Shadows Of A Theater and As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me.

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
Artemi, are you familiar with (film) composer Vladimir Horunzhy? He worked in Hollywood for many years, but moved back to Russia around 10 years ago. He scored one of my absolute favorite films, Stephen King's The Langoliers (1995).

Maybe Artemyev and Vangelis are more similar physically than musically.

And yes, I always thought Artemi Artemyev looked like Jerome!

Some of Eduard Artemyev's orchestral works did nothing for me though, like Burnt By The Sun, Shadows Of A Theater and As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me.

Horunzhy... His name sounds familiar but unfortunately I am not aware of his works. I may have heard something but nothing comes to my mind.

Artemiev vs. Vangelis: yes, that beard maybe... Wink

His orchestral scores: not a fan of them either. Not surprisingly, I prefer him in his electronic mode. Rolling Eyes Shadows of a Theater has a couple of nice electronic tracks (from 1988 or so) if I remember correctly.

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Horunzhy:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0395699/

He is also a film producer.

Yes, there are a couple if nice electronic cues on Shadows Of A Theater.

Roswell

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow I didn't even know these guys are Russian. I was a kid back in 2001

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de