EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

 What about Massive Attack?

Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
René
Guest










PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:51 pm    What about Massive Attack? Reply with quoteBack to top

I can clearly remember when their first hit "Unifinished Sympathy" was on the radio back in 1991. Great song, sounded like I never heard before, fresh and powerful with a very nice bass but not disturbing the strings.

Later another stunning hitsingle: "Teardrop" in 1998.

website: http://www.massiveattack.co.uk

Online    
steve.m
Member





Joined: 04 Feb 2007
Posts: 36



PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:19 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Rene - you heard "No Protection"? Dub remixes of the Protection album. Brilliant.
_________________
Steve
www.beergutrecordings.com
www.ambientlive.com

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
the glimmer room
Cool Member





Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 142
Location: nr colchester. uk


uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

liked the mezanine (? F7 dont work on these forums) album a lot really dark, caught them on uk tv over new year live at the wireless festival blew me away talk about tension. i was a bit gutted when it finished, turned over the channel and the whole program was starting again, long live digi tv Very Happy
got the blue lines album does not do it for me i am afraid, maybe they needed to get a bit more depressed before i started to like there music.

Andy

_________________
http://silentrookery.com
http://theglimmerroom.com

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
solitaryzen
One of the Coolest Member





Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 509
Location: Melbourne, Australia



PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:32 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I like all of their albums. I thought the last one (100th Window) was especially good, though it generally got a solid panning in the press I think.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist




Age: 53
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 581
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands


netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:12 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« solitaryzen » wrote:
I like all of their albums. I thought the last one (100th Window) was especially good, though it generally got a solid panning in the press I think.


I don't know that expression, but if by "a solid panning" you mean that it got bad, stuck-up reviews from smug music journalists I agree. "The Press", as I can remember it, had a field day when 100th window came out. Boring, monotonous, not innovative are some of the adjectives I can remember.

As usual, I didn't agree with most of them. And besides, I always thought that the lack of a succesful hit-single could actually be considered a solid recommendation for some albums (f.i. Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk).

Somehow I can understand people who don't know what to think of this album. It has a "harsher" atmosphere. Darker than Mezzanine, and almost as "loud" as their superb guitar-with-lots-of-distortion dreched live gigs. But music journalists that hardly give an album enough time to listen to under the pressure to score a "scoop-review" have lost my respect a long time ago...

The vinyl version of 100th window is quite spectacular. Three super thick slabs of vinyl with embossed side-indications in a double gatefold sleeve.

The CD version has that wretched Copy Control on it, so I only bought it when it was almost a cheap as a good CDr. Still, nice to play in your car.

_________________
Billions can hear, but only few can listen
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
solitaryzen
One of the Coolest Member





Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 509
Location: Melbourne, Australia



PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
« solitaryzen » wrote:
I like all of their albums. I thought the last one (100th Window) was especially good, though it generally got a solid panning in the press I think.


I don't know that expression, but if by "a solid panning" you mean that it got bad, stuck-up reviews from smug music journalists I agree. "The Press", as I can remember it, had a field day when 100th window came out. Boring, monotonous, not innovative are some of the adjectives I can remember.

As usual, I didn't agree with most of them. And besides, I always thought that the lack of a succesful hit-single could actually be considered a solid recommendation for some albums (f.i. Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk).

Somehow I can understand people who don't know what to think of this album. It has a "harsher" atmosphere. Darker than Mezzanine, and almost as "loud" as their superb guitar-with-lots-of-distortion dreched live gigs. But music journalists that hardly give an album enough time to listen to under the pressure to score a "scoop-review" have lost my respect a long time ago...

The vinyl version of 100th window is quite spectacular. Three super thick slabs of vinyl with embossed side-indications in a double gatefold sleeve.

The CD version has that wretched Copy Control on it, so I only bought it when it was almost a cheap as a good CDr. Still, nice to play in your car.


You're correct with your interpretation of "solid panning" Smile

I just think that the people that write those articles didn't get the album they expected to get from Massive Attack. I think it is very hard for some people to listen to a recording on its merits - they tend to let expectations built up around their impression of what an artist should sound like direct their attitude towards that artist's work. And also, these critics often tend to base their reviews on what other artists happen to be doing at the time, rather than focusing on the music they are supposed to be reviewing. Though, I guess reference points can be very handy - just that some artists really might not give a toss what their contemporaries are doing!

Besides a couple of weakish tracks, 100th Window is right up there for me (though as I said, I do like all their albums). My feelings about the album pretty much echo yours.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
ahem
Cool Member





Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 65


uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hit and miss.

Love unfinished Synphony, but too much of their stuff relies on samples from artists of superior talent. Nellee Hooper did some good stuff with them and Craig Armstrong.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
solitaryzen
One of the Coolest Member





Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 509
Location: Melbourne, Australia



PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:16 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ahem » wrote:
Hit and miss.

Love unfinished Synphony, but too much of their stuff relies on samples from artists of superior talent. Nellee Hooper did some good stuff with them and Craig Armstrong.


But would those artists you speak of have made these records on their own...?

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic


 Jump to:   



Show permissions


© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de
Powered by Orion based on phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
FI Theme Converted by U.K. Forumimages
All times are GMT + 2 Hours