EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Collecting vs. listening

Poll :: Do you consider yourself first and foremost a collector or a listener of music

Collector: I try to keep track of everything and I buy a lot of music
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Listener: I don't buy much, I try to listen more closely to what I already have. I have to intention to get every release out there.
69%
 69%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 23

Artemi
One of the Coolest Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:31 pm    Collecting vs. listening Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you members of this forum consider yourself first and foremost collectors or listeners of Electronic Music? I know that there are many musicians there, but this poll is from a music consumer's standpoint.

I noticed that some people like phaedra2008, for example, seem to amass tons of obscure and not so obscure releases in all formats (CD, FLAC, even vinyl!) just for the sake of it. I may be wrong of course, it is just an impression. Others do not buy as much music. So I suspect that some EM fans consider themselves to be more of a collector type, hunting down everything, while others have smaller collections but maybe listen more deeply and have their own favorites etc.

Another question that arises: with the amount of music today, is it possible to still keep track of everything. If you have a huge collection, how often do you still listen to each CD or are they collecting dust most of the time? I know that there are different things in life and I find it harder and harder to find the time to listen to my favorite stuff. How do you manage this? And if you can't, what's the point of buying so much music, then?

Thanks everyone for participating. Confused

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm - I don't buy a lot of music nowadays - but I do like to collect certain artist.

I like to listen rather than consume and pay attention to what is being played.(speaking purely for myself here)

but I don't listen as much as I used to either - set up at home is not right for it....

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Indeed, listening and paying attention is a luxury for many these days. Hence the question. Thanks for answering.

modulator_esp

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I like to think I'm somewhere in the middle Smile

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« modulator_esp » wrote:

That's why I didn't include the third option in the poll ("Both") Smile I think 90% would have chosen that option then and the whole question would not yield any interesting results. Wink Rolling Eyes

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well Artemi, we discussed this a bit some time back.
I left a good 15 years gap from 1990 buying almost nothing, I have been a collector for the last 5-6 years again catching up.
I download flac simply because I like the music and there is no other format, but that means I am more of the junkie than a "file" collector and expect to lose interest in these marketing methods soon.

It is time to listen for a few years and be very selective, the first thing I stopped buying are "remasters, reissues" as in most cases the gain between an original CD and reissue is questionable, often disastrous.

There is not much I want anymore and it's impossible to keep up to date with even a small group of say 20 Musicians/year, if each releases 2-4 albums...
Some of my buys are obscure gambles and end up in the rubbish bin after a quick sample, others down the track a bit.
I also have to overcome the completist compulsion, it should be OK not to have everything by any artist, just the other day I downloaded Awakenings 2011 1 & 1.5 simply because I already have the earlier ones in the set which I remember being good but not much other detail, and am not sure when I can revisit them again.

I voted Collector but that phase is over now and am transitioning to Listener again.
However, both go together for me, I like to know I own what I listen to.

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Fair enough, Dan. Thanks for your insight. I agree about the disgusting tendency for these countless recent "remasters".

"Completist compusion" I can relate to, but life has other plans, I'm afraid. Smile

modulator_esp

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Artemi » wrote:
« modulator_esp » wrote:

That's why I didn't include the third option in the poll ("Both") Smile I think 90% would have chosen that option then and the whole question would not yield any interesting results. Wink Rolling Eyes

in which case I can't vote

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« modulator_esp » wrote:
« Artemi » wrote:
« modulator_esp » wrote:

in which case I can't vote

OK, Jez, no problem with that either. Smile

Graham

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not sure "listener" and "I don't buy much" particularly go together tbh.

Smile

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
grantcorp

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

A classic discussion. I can't really choose either option since I'd go for a "listen a lot and buy a lot" alternative. Music is a part of my daily life and there is always something playing from early morning to late night and often beyond, unless external factors (read: people with narrow minds) take the fun out of it. In the pre mp3-player days I always had a discman and two case/logic CD-wallets in my backpack that I lugged around nearly everywhere.

As for buying it is more cyclic. There are always affordable things to buy thanks to the explosion of online markets, but it also has a dampening effect since you know that most things are now easily available. There's no longer the same "need" to act quickly and decisively once you find something you want (unless you are a dub techno aficionado where hard limitations are the rules of the game, just for the sake of it it seems).

My collection has also swelled a lot through musical exploration and a constant change of tastes. I don't mind buying blindly, a remnant from the pre-internet mailorder days. I also learnt from past experience that discarding records you think you won't ever want to listen to again can be a stupid thing to do.

Naturally I have fallen for all the collector vices too; "ooh, new artwork, looks nice, I'd better get the reissue too", "coloured or black vinyl? hmm, I'd better grab both", "oh, that album doesn't really seem that great but it would sit nicely with the others" and "oooh, let's fill all the catalogue numbers from this or that label".

I don't consider my collection a bloated monster that keeps expanding, rather a distinct library and archive that will sustain me with great entertainment, escapism and introspection for years to come.

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Graham » wrote:
I'm not sure "listener" and "I don't buy much" particularly go together tbh.

Smile

Perhaps you're right. But it made sense when compared to *pure* collectors. Smile

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Grantcorp, a nice and positive look on these things.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:50 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I may add that the Collecting spirit must be a genetic ingredient.
I have a nice collection of very early radios, from crystal ones to early tubes (1916-1924 period).
Then a cool collection of same early period radio tubes/valves.

And also a collection of recorded music media technology from Tin foil, Cylinders and discs to USB sticks.
I collected most representative examples of each type from the mother of all discs: a 1908 Pathe 20" disc to to 3" 78rpm diameters and all sizes in between.
Think coloured vinyl was a contemporary marketing idea? not really, I have multicoloured 78 rpm's from 1920.
I am working on a display for these.
I found it fascinating to seek out formats most never heard of like 16" or 14" discs, different brands avoiding patent copy, metal discs instead of vinyl played with fibre stylus, then the early cylinder world from 1890's with different sizes, materials and capabilities and so on.

Then electronics and astronomy, how and why does stuff work, so, pretty much an all round hobby character.
All of these mean a lot of learning to know how we got where we are.
Others may spend a lifetime focusing just on sports, arts, philosophical chit chat and not much else, I go for technology and hard evidence Very Happy

Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey - the quote button doesnt seem to be working for phaedra's post.....

Phaedra - sounds like a great collection. One way we keep history alive in an era that seems focussed on the new gadgets

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de