EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:32 am    300 Reply with quoteBack to top

Did anybody see the movie " 300 "

Is it worth watching ?

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Stein Grebstad
Electro80 | Norwegian | Electro-Music

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:47 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

yes
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:16 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Stein Grebstad » wrote:
yes

why Wink

https://twitter.com/emportal

Azra
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Having followed Frank Miller's work in Marvel Comics (Daredevil mainly,) DC (Ronin and The Dark Knight Returns did loads to popularize the graphic novel,) and beyond (Sin City), I had read 300 the graphic novel some years before the movie. It's a close adaptation of the novel, and thus my opinion of the novel likewise of the movie: An historical interpretation, it's a contemporary, highly-stylized CGI expression of manifest orientalism. 300 Spartans--representing the Occident--defend the novel concept--democracy--from the Other: The exoticized, inhuman (literally as well), ruthless, Oriental--particularly Persian--theocracy. Ironic, seeing the Spartan way.

Needless to say, it made hundred of millions. I sat through it too. Insignificantly perhaps, Miller's lost a fan.

Is it entertaining? Yeah. Is it racist? Hell yeah.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
ambientlive
One of the Coolest Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:55 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I watched the first 5 minutes then gave up.
I couldn't face sitting though another n minutes of so much dark stylised CGI, and for what

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:22 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I liked it. I may even take my nephews to see it again. This time at a movie theatre.
HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
FSP Marcel
Even more Cool Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I say the movie and enjoyed it, but not for the wonderful or difficult story (because those are not really in it).
Just mind turned to zero.
I did like the settings and surroundings, weird because usually I don't like these things.

BillBinkelman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, it would appear that I may be the only person here who loved the movie. I plan on buying it when it comes to DVD. I found it to be a lot more "human" of a story than most reviews indicated...Of course, it isn't one hundred percent accurate from a historical standpoint but that's because it's the movie adaptation of Miller's graphic novel, which in and of itself is also not meant to be historical, per se. Visually, the movie is unbelievably surreal in its look and IMO the violence is really not that bad (which most people seem to think). Your average "Freddy/Jason/etc." film is much more sadistic and gory, again IMO. As someone who has always been fascinated by Greek mythology and that period of history, I suppose it was natural I would enjoy the film...and, it helps that I loved Sin City too!
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

How is the music score by Tyler Bates?
solitaryzen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

All I can say is I had quite a chuckle when I saw the preview - not something I'm planning to see.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Soundwave
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:20 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Got a bit wrecked with a mate just before we went into the cinema and it really is the best state of mind to enjoy this movie as it requires little brain power to watch yet remains a worthwhile feast on the senses.
You don't watch an Arnie movie for the intellectual dialogue and the same applies here just shout out AAAAA-OOOOH in the theatre cos this ain't Shakespeare 'THIS IS SPARTA!!!! Twisted Evil (in a Glaswegian accent! Embarassed )

Oh yeah you can preview the soundtrack on iTunes!

BillBinkelman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
How is the music score by Tyler Bates?

It fits the movie. Lots of very dramatic chorals, nothing very subtle usually, except during some poignant scenes (such as Leonidas' death scene which, honestly, had me in tears...yeah, I'm a softy! Embarassed ). I wouldn't buy the soundtrack as without the visuals it's not that great, only IMHO. But it does help the movie hit harder while you're watching it.

cucamonga
Even more Cool Member

spain.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:14 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think this is another example of contemporary movies where spectacle is in first place and the story is far away back. Computers treats are rulling seventh art, now going to cinema is like going to the circus. You just watch images and colours that catchs your atention. Fine with me. I liked the movie as an spectacle for your eyes not as a movie.
If I want to see a movie then I have to go to Kubrick, Mankiewhich, Goddard or many others from the past and some from today's like Allen.

Talking about 300 I find it a very attractive film, nice photograph and amazing fighting sequences. If is racist or not to be honest I don't care. Anyway there are some aspect there which are not so distant from reality. Democracy is something that never existed in Orient specially those countries were Islam is now. They were extremelly fanatics in religions and strange believing (also the Spartans), slavery it was a very common thing and the Persian empire it was built with that base.
The film is based in a storic moment; obviously exaggerated, with all those monsters and those millions Persian soldiers etc etc... but coming back to the beginning of this message this is a circus not an storic document to teach our childrem.

Azra
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:55 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« cucamonga » wrote:
Democracy is something that never existed in Orient...

The word? No. The political system--I'd check.

arronizlive

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:42 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

(Though, this was months ago, I was reading)...

« BillBinkelman » wrote:
Your average "Freddy/Jason/etc." film is much more sadistic and gory,

I thought this was a very sadistic and gory movie (don't get me wrong, I pre-order it already), ... but from this point of view... you are right...

I don't know why it seems more slasher than many others... Rolling Eyes

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de