EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Releasing Online Music: which distributer?

Nisus
Cool Member

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:42 am    Releasing Online Music: which distributer? Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi All,

I'm new to releasing albums, so I (and probably others too) would like to hear your thoughts on the advantages and/or disadvantages of online distributers... So what do you think of...
- cdbaby
- tunecore
- reverbnation
- bandcamp
Which ones would you recommend? And why?
What are your experiences with online distributers?

Rgds,

Nisus

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
VCO1
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:39 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As a consumer I prefer Bandcamp. They carry my format of choice (flac) and have an easy way to pay (Paypal). Besides, the prices on Bandcamp are very reasonable too, prehaps due to the low margin they take (I think it's 10% or less).

CDBaby is okay-ish for buying cd's. Downloads are mp3 only, and it's not even clear what bitrate that is.

The other well known names (some of them not in your list) ask ridiculous prices for downloads. And that's part because of their high margins. A download that's priced above 10 euro (or the equivalent in other currencies) is basically out of the question for me in 99% of the cases.

So Bandcamp FTW, I'd say!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:07 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As a musician, I also clearly prefer BandCamp at the moment. As VCO1 said: low margin, good service, high flexibility, wide variety of formats, etc. - and it's even looking kinda stylish, too... Wink

Oh, and You even can customize the URL, to make it appear as the download shop of Your own homepage (if You have one...).

Nisus
Cool Member

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool. Tnx a lot guys for your answers.

@Michael: can one actually make some money from bandcamp (say, enough to cover a part of the production process?)

rgds,

Nisus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Definitely not MySpace. Bandcamp is, hands down, the best site for downloading music.
Nisus
Cool Member

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Tnx. yeah, MySpace is kinda old ,-p

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:11 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Nisus » wrote:
Cool. Tnx a lot guys for your answers.

@Michael: can one actually make some money from bandcamp (say, enough to cover a part of the production process?)

rgds,

Nisus

Well, depends on who is placing his (or her) music there, I guess... Wink

Actually, I don't think it really depends on the distribution platform if people buy Your music. Or rather to a minor degree (some won't buy mp3s, while others may need a different payment method, things like that...).

As for me, well - I could cover part of the production process, yes. Then again, as I still produce at home and distribute only digitally (or on CD-R), production expanses are not really high for me anyway Wink

Well, thinking about it, I use BandCamp since about last November or something, and I probalby have earned enough to fund the industrial pressing of a modest number of CDs in some East Europe country.

Unfortunately, I spent most of it already to buy other people's music... Wink

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:58 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

my problem with bandcamp is that you cannot use ftp or batch upload, but must do the upload track by track

BTW problem with buying from musiczeit is solved when you do not have an creditcard,
I use now for a shorttime http://www.mywirecard.com
you get a prepaid virtual creditcard Wink

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Nisus
Cool Member

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool. Tnx guys. In the main time I've added one album and a maxi-single on bandcamp for now. I'll see were it brings me. Wink)

Rgds,

E

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Nisus » wrote:
Cool. Tnx guys. In the main time I've added one album and a maxi-single on bandcamp for now. I'll see were it brings me. Wink)

Well, at least I could have a listen to your music now. It's quite interesting and I may have bought it, if it didn't sound so dull. And by dull I mean it's almost completely lacking in high frequencies and dynamics. A real pity since the compositions are above average.

Nisus
Cool Member

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

http://nisusmusic.bandcamp.com/album/electronic-medication
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Have to correct my previous post, since I think I picked the wrong word. With dull I meant flat.
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

sorry to dancy/poppy for me

but a must have for jarre or space (magic fly) fans, even when the sound is to flat as VCO1 stated

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It slightly reminded me of more recent KS in some places - like in the drum+sequence parts of "Big in Japan", or "Moonlake"...

Nisus
Cool Member

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi All,

Tnx for listening to my music. I'm a bit surprised by the 'dull/flat'-comments, because I paid a lot of attention to the mastering. I wonder if this is because of the 128kbp mp3 version that bandcamp uses to play the streams...
I'll try to add a tunecore mediaplayer also, maybe it'll sound a bit different there...
Or perhaps you are using some equalizer that will boost the bass too much?
Just level any equalizer and turn off any reverb Wink)
Anyway, I'm very surprised because I tested the original files (*.wav) on several (low quality) sound systems.
So perhaps a last question: Did you listen it with a headphone (a good one?)

Now for the references... I don't know where I got them, because I've been into EM for a whole long time (as a listener and musician). I refer to my music mainly as KS-based, but without any loops and more symphonic, not just 'sounds'. But it has the same improvisation style. I do hear JMJ also, mainly in some basses, but I lack his melodie-based music. Other than that, I just like the flowing/floating of almost no melodie that constantly changes over time... Wink

@Michael: Probably 'In Blue' and 'Dome Event' are somewhat related. 'Moonlake' could be too. Big in Japan was not released at the time I recorded these songs.

Anyway, tnx for listening and for your words. Hmmm... The dull/flat will hunt me for a bit ,-) I'll keep it in mind for next releases...

rgds,

Nisus

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de