EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

 "10 years ago, iTunes killed the (old) music industry''

Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin




Age: 59
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 8987
Location: The Netherlands


blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:38 pm    "10 years ago, iTunes killed the (old) music industry'' Reply with quoteBack to top



Image

Today we are 'celebrating' a decade of iTunes


_________________
Jac. Huswinus

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Naus
One of the Coolest Member




Age: 51
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 977
Location: Leiden


netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice day for a celebration, if only they had truely killed the old music industry, there is still too much power in those old companies that is being used to limit our digital freedom.
_________________
there's someone in my head
but it's not me

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
REWO Records
One of the Coolest Member




Age: 48
Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 1656


netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

10 years ago no one would have imagined to buy vinyl again... How things change
_________________
Rene van der Wouden's music http://rene-vanderwouden.bandcamp.com | www.rewo.bandcamp.com |

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
betawave
Very Cool Member





Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 235


usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:15 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I for one I guess am either an elitist or outside of the circle of cool hip em musicians because I am grateful for I-Tunes.

From a realistic view of postal expenses today(which since Jan 2013 has gone thru the roof in good ol' USA) not to mention a total lack of support from the em community and the dream of decent distribution I thank Apple for I-Tunes.

My music is sold I get paid and there's no need to deal with the hassles of being paid by a distributor in 30-90 days.

Reality today either vinyl or digital distribution its a bitter pill but its reality(irregardless of my inkling towards owning more cds) thats the way it is and it doesn't look like there is any sort of revelatory shift in the wind.

_________________
Harmonic Resonance Recordings
http://www.hrresonance.bandcamp.com

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy




Age: 47
Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 4484
Location: Bobbejaanland, ht lekkerste land!


blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Music industry killed itself, more like it.

Stephen

_________________
"The things you own end up owning you." (Tyler Durden -- Fight Club)

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
mik300z
New Member




Age: 50
Joined: 08 Aug 2013
Posts: 4


ireland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Brilliant ! What a subject for my first visit to emp. Smile
First hello, names Mick, have been directed here by a follower on YT. Nice to meet you guys.
My first reaction when I read the header was yeah absolutely...itunes screwed up all my musical buying experience . There was nothing like a day spent in HMV or Virgin megastore if I was on hols in a big city. That's my own selfish opinion .
(as has been mentioned by betawave)) I could never have sold my own music without the help of the knock-ons of itunes. I don't like apple themseslves because of the greed , how they want to own the rights to all music. There seems to be no other major competitor 10 years on. Apart from bandcamp . It took me all of 30 seconds to decide which platform to release my first album. Went to itunes and yawned by the second paragraph of their 'rules'.
itunes started something that could have been revolutionary but like all rise to power it is greedy lazy and complacent.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Starwalker
One of the Coolest Member




Age: 55
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2230


usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:23 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess some are focused on getting paid QUICKLY versus distribution type. I appreciate artists like Stephen Parsick whom endorses the CD and still produces them. Thanks. I think if you are in the industry for the money, what's the point especially if your not TD KS Steve Roach Robert Rich etc, I was told sometime ago its more like a hobby since you can't make a living on it unless you are one of the artists above.
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
betawave
Very Cool Member





Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 235


usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:52 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« mik300z » wrote:
Brilliant ! What a subject for my first visit to emp. Smile
First hello, names Mick, have been directed here by a follower on YT. Nice to meet you guys.
My first reaction when I read the header was yeah absolutely...itunes screwed up all my musical buying experience . There was nothing like a day spent in HMV or Virgin megastore if I was on hols in a big city. That's my own selfish opinion .
(as has been mentioned by betawave)) I could never have sold my own music without the help of the knock-ons of itunes. I don't like apple themseslves because of the greed , how they want to own the rights to all music. There seems to be no other major competitor 10 years on. Apart from bandcamp . It took me all of 30 seconds to decide which platform to release my first album. Went to itunes and yawned by the second paragraph of their 'rules'.
itunes started something that could have been revolutionary but like all rise to power it is greedy lazy and complacent.


By all means go with Bandcamp. There is little in the area of corporate greed factor plus you can sell cds. lp's and digital downloads. The site is fantastic and their charge is minimal compared to CD Baby etc. The interface for potential buyers is user friendly as well.

Let me chime in once more. I-Tunes did not kill music sales it was free pirate sites like.....Napster back in the late 90s early 2000 that allowed for the blatant theft of music. They called in file sharing I call it thievery. People got a taste of getting music for free so why pay pay for it then.To this day torrent sites etc persevere in stealing money from artists. Nothing you can do about it pandora's box was opened. At least I-Tunes pays you and btw they do not own any of my music(never heard of that before) they just distribute and sell.

In addition when there was a distribution network(brick and mortar) back in the 1990s middle men(distributors like Cargo) would screw musicians out of payments(late or never sent...) and other times would go out of business alltogether thus you lost not only your money owed but your product. Direct sales sites like Bandcamp removed that nemesis!

_________________
Harmonic Resonance Recordings
http://www.hrresonance.bandcamp.com

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
stevepalmer
One of the Coolest Member




Age: 58
Joined: 16 Jun 2007
Posts: 2575


wales.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:03 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

All very good points.

Though I'm quite a fan of CD Baby, and didn't like Bandcamp...

_________________
Downloads at Musiczeit:
http://www.musiczeit.com/directory.php?label=798&title=Stephen+Palmer+Music

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Vaughan
Very Cool Member




Age: 49
Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 208


uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:06 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Just saw this older thread.

My opinion is that those who say "good riddance" to record labels ought to find a lot to dislike, even hate, about iTunes.

Basically Apple came into the market having invested zero in the making of music - say what you want about record labels, but without them we'd likely not have had many of the great pieces of music we enjoy. Apple skim off 30% of all monies spent on them - for doing what? Nought. For having a web site. The little guy still can't pay for greater promotion than the big guys, and if Apple decide they don't want you, they can simply take you off.

Add in their abuse of workers in developing iPhones and iPads and you have a company I'll certainly never invest in. I won't buy music from them, and I won't install their software. They are part of the problem, not the solution. Apple is another huge mega-corp. A horrible one at that,

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Rapsodies
One of the Coolest Member




Age: 53
Joined: 27 Jan 2012
Posts: 581


france.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:38 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vaughan » wrote:
Just saw this older thread.

My opinion is that those who say "good riddance" to record labels ought to find a lot to dislike, even hate, about iTunes.

Basically Apple came into the market having invested zero in the making of music - say what you want about record labels, but without them we'd likely not have had many of the great pieces of music we enjoy. Apple skim off 30% of all monies spent on them - for doing what? Nought. For having a web site. The little guy still can't pay for greater promotion than the big guys, and if Apple decide they don't want you, they can simply take you off.

Add in their abuse of workers in developing iPhones and iPads and you have a company I'll certainly never invest in. I won't buy music from them, and I won't install their software. They are part of the problem, not the solution. Apple is another huge mega-corp. A horrible one at that,


I couldn't agree more. Some time ago, on French TV, there was a documentary entitled "La tyrannie du cool" (no need to translate, I suppose). I still can't understand how so many people can go slavering after the latest iShit (and how they still manage to brush their teeth without an iBrush and to go to the loo without iPaper). By the way, the latest iThing reads fingerprints, doesn't it ? Hello, George Orwell, you were right from the start.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
bewoest
One of the Coolest Member





Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Posts: 656


lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:51 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Rapsodies » wrote:
"La tyrannie du cool" (no need to translate, I suppose).


What a great title!!! That would be indeed an appropriate title for an electronic music project/release instead of those boring and repetitive space- and allegedly scientific titles...


« Rapsodies » wrote:
I still can't understand how so many people can go slavering after the latest iShit [...] Hello, George Orwell, you were right from the start.


As I use to say: "Apple, a company too cool to fail" Wink

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
VCO1
One of the Coolest Member





Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 2301


netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:37 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« bewoest » wrote:
« Rapsodies » wrote:
"La tyrannie du cool" (no need to translate, I suppose).


What a great title!!! That would be indeed an appropriate title for an electronic music project/release instead of those boring and repetitive space- and allegedly scientific titles...

What's wrong with "Cosmic Wonders of the Endless Universe"? Razz

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
VCO1
One of the Coolest Member





Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 2301


netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:42 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vaughan » wrote:
Add in their abuse of workers in developing iPhones and iPads and you have a company I'll certainly never invest in.

The people who are developing the devices get paid pretty well, I think. I guess you're talking about the people who are manufacturing the things. And even then your statement is debatable. Apple has brought a lot of work to developing countries. The labour conditions may not be optimal (to say the least), but it wouldn't have been any better if it wasn't Apple.

« Vaughan » wrote:
Apple skim off 30% of all monies spent on them - for doing what? Nought. For having a web site.

I guess they can send the monthly bills for their datacenters to you? Rolling Eyes
If you think the infrastructure for a global operation like this comes for free, think again!

For the record, I'm an Apple user, but not a fanboy. I'm only using those products that I think are better than the competition (so no iPhone for me Wink).

iTunes is not the right offering for me, because of the sub-par quality of the music offered: the lack of an option to get lossless files is basically a no-go for me.

Apple's popularity will diminish eventually. After all: what goes up, must come down.


Last edited by VCO1 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:54 am; edited 2 times in total

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Phrozenlight
One of the Coolest Member




Age: 61
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 1983


netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:48 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"La tyrannie du I" or "La tyrannie du App" Mr. Green
_________________
www.phrozenlight.tk
www.musiczeit.com/phrozenlight/
www.phrozenlight.bandcamp.com

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic


 Jump to:   



Show permissions


© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de
Powered by Orion based on phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
FI Theme Converted by U.K. Forumimages
All times are GMT + 2 Hours