EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

not as famous as they should be?

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:32 pm    not as famous as they should be? Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi!!!

Regarding the comments on the lack of discussion compared to self-promotion, I throw a pebble into the water...

Which are the most unsung electronic artists in your opinion and why? Who are the ones whose innovation and talents has gone largerly unnoticed?

What could be regarded "unsung" is of course relative, but I am thinking of people that should be "household" names in e-music community, but really aren´t.

My choice is Michael Hoenig. A very personal style and high compositional skills... Xcept One is one great album and his soundtrack work is mostly of very high quality and rich in fresh ideas... much better than what Chris Franke has churned out with his S/T stuff...

cheers,
ami

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:51 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

my choice: Tim Blake

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
VCO1
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:30 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

An interesting, but tough question to answer.

To start with, the group of musicians to choose from is huge. As almost nobody in this field is really famous nor well-known. Next to that, there are those who made one or two great albums and then kind of disappeared, at least from the EM-scene. Their album(s) may have been a lucky strike.

Long story short, the first name that comes to mind now is Ian Boddy. Of course pretty well-known within the EM-scene. But apart from that not much I think. Why Ian? Because he's consistently making quality music for many, many years. Has his own style. But still evolves. That's an accomplishment to me.

But I may come up with other names if I think if it even longer. Which I will do.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:23 pm    Re: not as famous as they should be? Reply with quoteBack to top

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
Hi!!!

Regarding the comments on the lack of discussion compared to self-promotion, I throw a pebble into the water...

Nice move!

Speaking of those comments, what happened to SYN's, erm, Anti-Flo's post...? When I tried to answer there this morning, it seemed to have vanished. Did things get somewhat out of hand there...?

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
Which are the most unsung electronic artists in your opinion and why? Who are the ones whose innovation and talents has gone largerly unnoticed?

Aren't there many (number growing...) ? I find it a bit difficult to draw a line...

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
What could be regarded "unsung" is of course relative, but I am thinking of people that should be "household" names in e-music community, but really aren´t.

My choice is Michael Hoenig.

HOI! Shocked Of course he's great! But if he is no "household name" already, I wonder who You consider to be one. Only Kraftwerk, Jarre, Vangelis and TD then...? Laughing

"Departure from the Northern Wasteland" was one of my earliest encounters with electronic music, and ever since I thought this album just perfect (and everyone agreed... Wink ).

Anyway, my pick would be (as all of You probably can guess) Robert Rich, then. To me, nearly all his albums would qualify as masterpieces, from the first moment on he released consistently only brilliant, original and exquisitly produced music, with immense depth, feeling and imagination...

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Haha! I knew it was going to be this, Michael Smile. Well, you could think of it like: who should be as legendary as Jarre, Kraftwerk, Vangelis, TD and Schulze, but isn't, although their work has been just as good for shorter or longer time. In my opinion Michael Hoenig is one of those... perhaps his gig as Peter Baumann's stand-in for a short while was actually too decisive factor in his career. He got the breaks on the basis of that, but perhaps it wasn't such a good thing in the long run. Added to that, he got some bad luck with a couple of deals and timing. Too bad, as I think he could have been just as good musically as those big names...

Regarding Robert Rich and Steve Roach, for me they are Big Names, the kings of the US synth music style, that grew out of the new age (i really don't think Yanni or John Tesh are big names in any other sense than businesswise). I followed them both as they became big names and for a few years i do not think there really was much bigger new names in those times... big names for me still, i might add Smile

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:
Speaking of those comments, what happened to SYN's, erm, Anti-Flo's post...?

This has been deleted.

CompactDiscMP3

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Paul Lawler.
HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:
Speaking of those comments, what happened to SYN's, erm, Anti-Flo's post...?

This has been deleted.

Shame.

It was good fun because it was so pathetic.

I am sure he has returned to his suitcase in the meantime.

Back on topic: No-one should be more famous than the other, I love you all.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Naus

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I would say Ian Boddy as well. I try to convert my friends to his music and some of them really seem to like it even though they are not hardcore EM fans.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

French musician Phillipe Guerre seems to be overlooked, he did a good album in 1979

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwxuMPJWLiE

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Anonymous » wrote:
French musician Phillipe Guerre seems to be overlooked, he did a good album in 1979

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwxuMPJWLiE

Thanks - very interesting! I had indeed never heard of him so far...

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sverre Knut Johansen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPmilnxCNUQ

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:51 am    Re: not as famous as they should be? Reply with quoteBack to top

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:

My choice is Michael Hoenig. A very personal style and high compositional skills... Xcept One is one great album and his soundtrack work is mostly of very high quality and rich in fresh ideas... much better than what Chris Franke has churned out with his S/T stuff...

cheers,
ami

Well, I dont think Hoenig's film music was as good as TD's stuff in the 80s/90s. He did lots of generic-sounding stuff, just like much of Franke and Haslinger's stuff for Hollywood, IMO.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de