EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Your first time...

arronizlive
One of the Coolest Member

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:30 pm    Your first time... Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello!
Cool

The way we look at a band,
or "Listen", I believe it's determined by the FIRST
time you were in contact with one of their Albums...

Waaaay too many moments
to talk about, I guess I'll begin with some.

Arrow KLAUS SCHULZE.

The first time I hear Klaus, I already had a bunch of TD
on my collection, so I wasn't new to EM music.
But it was Indeed a GREAT surprise when I heard for the
first time, and the Album was TRANCEFER.
and i loooooved it!!!
I guess it was luck, but the 2nd. album was MIRAGE!,
And I got hooked for life with the
good Schulze!

Arrow PINK FLOYD.

I was not too young... neither too old... but my first
album was THE WALL. Obviously then, I knew of Pink Floyd
from the radio playing "Another Brick I.T.W."
Listening to the double album (T. WALL) was a shock... something really
new and different for me, considering my groups were Queen and Kiss...
after a few listenings, I fell for the band and I bought MEDDLE, as the second Album. And then again, maybe luck, but this one really got into me. The band became one of my favorites after that...

Arrow RICHARD PINHAS.

I heard the guy in his band HELDON, but, althought good,
not impressive... however, when I first put attention into his name,
was with his album ICELAND. I confess, the only one I have heard from him, but enough to consider Him into my list of VERY special moments in Music...

Looking forward to hear your stories about your first Albums from
this or other artists...
Cheers!
Wink

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Klaus Schulze

The Dome Event (circa 1996 or so). Totally embarassed.

Second encounter:

Timewind. Result: Love at first sound.

Tangerine Dream

Tyranny of Beauty (circa 1995 or so). Totally embarassed.

Second encounter:

I guess that was Cyclone and Tangram. Result: Love at first sound.

Last edited by Artemi on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
sparrow

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Klaus Schulze Mirage was his first I heard....still in my top ten..first TD was ..Poland although I didn't think it was nothing special. Now I love it.

My first ever true EM record was jarre's oxygene still number one em record of all time in my book..

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Kloos

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:27 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

First Schulze: Moondawn
I was ecstatic!!! Never heard something like it...

Tangerine Dream: Stratosfear
In the dark, with a candle lit and a joint. I still feel that atmosphere when I play it today...

qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:13 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

TD's "Force Majeure" because I saw Edgar Froese on german TV in early 1979. And this changed my way of listening music totally.
A few months later a friend of my parents heard TD and asked if this was Klaus Schulze. I did not heard this name then (remember: no books about electronic music and no internet then) and went into a LP shop the next day. Bought "Timewind". And this was the beginning of a very special musical relation with Klaus Schulzes mid seventies to early eighties music.
But the very first encounters of electronic music was "Switched-on Bach" my mother bought in the early seventies. I loved this front cover picture of this strange machine as a kid. And today. But it was to early for me to understand music.
I bought Kraftwerk's "Autobahn" in 1978 (fold over cover double LP version). I only liked the main track on this one. And in 1980 a girlfriend (we were young teenagers then) played Jean-Michel Jarre on her cassette recorder. It was very interesting. But it was not catching my mind as TD and KS.

I was listening to Klaus Schulze's music each day in the last week. And this is something very normal and usual to me. But I also listen to other EM too.

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (1955)

ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

TD: Atem, bought because I like long tracks, then collected the rest at the time (El Med, Zeit) then when they brought out Phaedra that was it for life, I mean, erm, until 1985

KS: A friend, knowing I was a TD fan, played Cyborg to me one night. That was it, next day went out and ordered it and Irrlicht (you couldn't get KS off the shelf they had to order it from the supplier)

Pinhas: By the early 70's I would listen to anything with synths on it, and discovered Heldon via recommendation. I wass lucky enough to see RP live in London in 1977 (he wore a blue suit)

The Manmachine

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Kraftwerk : Autobahn when it was released in 1974.
Pink Floyd : Dark side of the Moon, and later animals when I had the
occasion of seeing them on the Animals tour in 77 (or was it 78 ?)
JMJ first album Oxygene in 1977.
TD : Stratosphere and Rubycon

they all impressed and stay on upto this day.

Guy

arronizlive

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:52 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting how the stories are different...

except for Oxygene...

I guess It was the first "Electronic" for too many in the World...
(and still one of the best albums ever...)

I guess for me it was Tomita, and then Jean Michel...
Much later Tangerine Dream...
my first TD was EXIT and again, I loved it!

Artemi...
I have a quiestion for you (if you read this)

Why did you come back for more when the first "Hearings" weren't too bright
(for your tastes back then) what kept you coming back for more...???
The "strenght" of the groups,
or further recommendations... ???
Rolling Eyes

Cool

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:50 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It's the reputation, the names. Actually I didn't dislike the music, I just found TD to be too lackluster and KS too weird (remember I was a teenager back then). But I knew these were some of the best-known names in EM and I knew I wanted to hear more. Besides I always had this curiosity towards music, always checking out new stuff etc. And I did like Klaus' analogue bits on "Dome Event" (the minimoog playing etc). Of course when I heard their vintage works I was in immediate heaven (I always had a soft spot towards analogue synthesizers, having been listened to vintage Jarre and Kraftwerk). Timewind was a no-brainer. TD took a little getting used to (mainly because of Jolliffe's vocals, the rest was great). I then re-listened to Dome Event and warmed up to it, but not to Tyranny of Beauty which I still find horrible.

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:29 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hawkwind - Space Ritual an journey into unknown sounds
Yes - Close to the Edge pushed me over the edge into progressive music.
Klaus Schulze - Timewind my first trip through the sky, I dreamed I was an eagle.
TD - Encore (side 4) my trip into the unknown territory of the deep sea.

Jarre - Oxygene & Kraftwerk - Autobahn & Radio Activity, good music for letting to know my friends what EM sounds like. but during the last 30 years I never listen to it.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
arronizlive

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I see... Artemi, it makes sense...
it's not just "Black and white" how we approach to music...

So far, I have heard all the music you guys have mentioned,
I love to read what you have said...
I can imagine the way you reacted to the music back then...
Cool

BTW... I envy you ambientlive,
and the "few" who could see R. Pinhas LIVE!
Mad

Laughing

utd_grant
Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My first exposure to EM was when an older brother taped a copy of Autobahn off one of his friends. Kometenmelodie II was THE track for me (I was only 8 or 9 years old at the time). To this day, there are sounds on that track that I could never hope to emulate. Lots of luscious bass with a rock 'n' roll backbeat which you could quite easily do 'The Twist' to ! The rest of the album took a while to get under my skin, but it has endured the test of time and is still one of my favourite albums.

Jarre was next up, with Oxygene and Equinoxe blowing me away completely. Again, these two albums really got under my skin and I love them to this day.

I was fortunate in that my other older brother had a friend who was clued up on the scene, and through him I was introduced to TD, Schulze, Eno, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Tomita, Gong, Genesis, Vangelis, Yes, Hawkwind, King Crimson and others.

I was coming of age musically around the late '70s and early '80s, which meant that I was aware of the British synth-pop scene as it was happening. Hearing singles in the charts from people like Gary Numan, Ultravox, Human League, Howard Jones, OMD and Depeche Mode was very exciting. John Peel played some interesting British and European New Wave synth stuff at that time, too.

I managed to see TD live a few times in the early '80s before they started sucking. In fact, my first gig ever was TD at the Glasgow Apollo on the 3rd November 1980. I went to the next two (or was it three ?) shows there, too. Unfortunately, I didn't know anything about them in 1978. Sad

Ticket images

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Wendy Carlos

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Soul Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Artemi » wrote:
It's the reputation, the names. Actually I didn't dislike the music, I just found TD to be too lackluster and KS too weird (remember I was a teenager back then). But I knew these were some of the best-known names in EM and I knew I wanted to hear more. Besides I always had this curiosity towards music, always checking out new stuff etc. And I did like Klaus' analogue bits on "Dome Event" (the minimoog playing etc). Of course when I heard their vintage works I was in immediate heaven (I always had a soft spot towards analogue synthesizers, having been listened to vintage Jarre and Kraftwerk). Timewind was a no-brainer. TD took a little getting used to (mainly because of Jolliffe's vocals, the rest was great). I then re-listened to Dome Event and warmed up to it, but not to Tyranny of Beauty which I still find horrible.

In comparison with all those old dudes on this forum you're still a youngster,
age wise not musically speaking.
But then again "open your mind and the rest will follow". Wink

Soul Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

After hearing a song on a radio station I went to the local record store.
It's always embarressing to hum or even sing the track you want but it does pay off.
Besides buying JMJ's - Oxygene, that was the track I heard, the shop owner convinced me to buy also
TD - White Eagle
KS - Dig it
and Vangelis - China

TD and KS didn't appeal to me at that time because after playing the albums they didn't "sound" like JMJ. Vangelis came close to it but it wasn't the same.
Fortunatly I got well acqainted with the record store owner, thus giving me the oppertuntiy to listen to a lot off music before having to buy it.

Everything else since then is history, I like most of the mainstream musicians and their spin-offs, but the "youngsters" still surprise me with "different" sounds. Wink

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de