EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Michael Garrison "gone but not forgotten"

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:24 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:13 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Today its been ten years since Michael passed away.

Thought Id point that out.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Bert
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:40 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

thanks for mentioning & remembering him again Stephen, as he's still sadly missed until this very day...

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

...played "In the Region of Sunreturn" today. Always an album I loved. RIP.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
jesterpip

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

A really nice bloke with whom I had the privalage to write an article for a British magazine, all c.d.'s signed, also a poster and handwritten letters. Very Happy
betawave
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:56 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Whomever own the rights needs to release his catalog again on disc YES the silver one everyone seems to have abandoned.

Would be nice to see a small boxed set possibly remastered.

With the amount of patronage to his memory surprises me no one has kept his music out here. Christ how many times have the Beatles and Kind Crimson been re-released?

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Craig Shipley

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:58 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Remembered, however he has not been forgotten.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:25 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« betawave » wrote:
Whomever own the rights needs to release his catalog again on disc YES the silver one everyone seems to have abandoned.

With the amount of patronage to his memory surprises me no one has kept his music out here. Christ how many times have the Beatles and Kind Crimson been re-released?

It's a tough one, I for example bought his LP's when released then the same again every one of his CD reissues or new releases.
His music was widely distributed and available for a long time and many collectors would have the lot while some may have opted for selected releases.

Not sure where the market would be if any, or how would it be done: remastering is questionable as there is not much wrong with the originals, invidual CD's or a box set even with 1-2 extra unreleased albums if they existed would force those who only chase 2-3 CD's to buy the lot again, and people like me to buy just the unreleased material...

Could it be more of a rememberance factor than music demand?

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« betawave » wrote:

I would guess the rights lie with his family, and I guess they do not feel too bothered to reissue his albums because they probably arent businesspeople or musically too involved. Making CDs these days doesnt exactly seem to be a worthwhile thing to do.

As for the remasters... I know where the original multi-track tapes are, and I have actually been approached to sift through them and -- if possible -- remix and remaster them as true to Mikes spirit as possibly can be. I dont know what state the tapes are in, though -- magnetic tape tends to deteriorate over the years.

I for one would be happy to deliver a decent-sounding version of "Point of Impact" (not lifted from vinyl) plus, perhaps, some unreleased material from the vaults.

Stephen

Bert

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

this sounds like an interesting thing to get going somehow, as this is one of his best and most appreciated efforts;
maybe an expanded Mobineko cd-pressing of a few hundred is doable in a viable manner

jesterpip

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

There is no unreleased material as I checked with his sister Cindy just before his web site was closed down. As has been pointed out, his family are not business people out to make a fast buck, pound or euro. Surprised
Craig Shipley

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

That his family is not out to make money off of him is all well and good, it sad that his musical efforts appear to be destined to die with him. Out pf print, the masters in limbo, no one that can take guardianship of the music that remains, that future looks bleak.

I wonder if setting up a tribute page on Bandcamp where his music could be made available for downloading with the proceeds going to an appropriate charity designated by the family might be acceptable?

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:28 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Another question that comes to mind would be, what about the albums that were also released through Ariola/BMG? That would be all albums from "Regions of Sunreturn" to "Images", with the exception of "Point of Impact" which had never been widely available. To what extent are the Ariola people still involved or are the Bertelsmann people keeping an eye on the copyrights? Contracts expire, but has anybody seen those?

The next question would be a technical one... where to get a Teac 3340 from? A properly working one, that is? And how playable will the tapes be?

And finally, with plenty of LPs sold -- and still quite a few CDs as well --, who would buy newly reissued albums when the original ones are still around and easily to be had off eBay or Discogs? There really has to be something going for it to make a release worthwhile -- the "Basement Tapes", for starters, or the "Serendipity" releases Mike talked about.

Stephen

Audioot
Even more Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I still have 2 Teac A3440's, one in perfect order Wink
Wouldn't mind playing those tapes!
(Still have the vinyl and later CD's)

Marcel

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de