EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Klaus Schulze: Stars Are Burning

VinceL
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess more copies have become available.

Today I received an e-mail from Amazon UK that my copy has been shipped. Very Happy

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
jmj713
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:53 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Mine arrived from the UK yesterday! Can't say the packaging is very good... Very flimsy.
BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Got mine today, just listening right now...

...oh, and the package is flimsy indeed. Shocked

I guess they tried to emulate a double vinyl cover en miniature. Basically not a bad idea. If it only had worked out better. Hm...

Anyway - I like what I've heard so far.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Qrazy Synth Man
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:19 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My copy arrived today from Germany through Amazon.com

The packaging is no different than the Japanese paper sleeve releases that I disliked when they first came out because I preferred the jewel box.

Now, with many paper sleeve issues in my collection I have grown to like them very much.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Qrazy Synth Man
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I just listened to both discs and I enjoyed the music very much and I will give them an A but for the audience coughing and talking I give them an F/U.

This may seem a bit harsh but I think it is rude to talk during a concert or in a movie theater. The coughing is excusable because people catch colds and trying to suppress and cough is not an easy thing to do.

I remember going to see King Crimson, The Strawbs & Spooky Tooth in October at the Academy Of Music in NYC and I had a bad cold. For three hours I struggled to fight the urge to cough because I did not want to disrupt the flow of the music and be that person that ruined the concert. I managed not to cough once but as a result I was totally exhausted and unable to enjoy the music.

This is only my opinion. Don't let it ruin your listening experience. The music is great!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:09 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:
Got mine today, just listening right now...
...oh, and the package is flimsy indeed. Shocked

I guess they tried to emulate a double vinyl cover en miniature. Basically not a bad idea. If it only had worked out better. Hm...

Mine should arrive in a week or so & it appears the package tries to emulate the Japanese mini LP style in this case including an OBI wannabe strip.
But just like the the old LP's the cover was sometimes robust stiff cardboard yet the same album from another country or repress came in fragile paper...

And the simplest packaging of paper sleeve, the slip in CD single style envelope will become more and more common as it's the cheapest to produce and lightest to ship, but also the most fragile...

It comes down to what is most important, the audio on a proper CD or the package it comes in, a shame as the original Jewel cases covered all bases well with plenty of space for artwork, booklets, and the most robust for shipping around or replacing broken bits.

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Overall is this a worthy purchase? from what i gather, its a bootleg with bootleg quality. Or is it just flat out worth it enough?
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
lichtblick
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:14 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have the vinyl and digital copy of the double cd. I think it is wonderful. Sound quality is indeed bootleggish.
HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The audio from a ~40 year old cassette is too poor for a commercial release, my blood boils every time this gets mentioned or I try listening to this CD set.

Then the performance is nothing special, certainly not as good as other concerts KS played around the same time.

I suggest you "try before you buy" Smile

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Starwalker » wrote:
Overall is this a worthy purchase? from what i gather, its a bootleg with bootleg quality. Or is it just flat out worth it enough?

Well, while I basically second this:

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
The audio from a ~40 year old cassette is too poor for a commercial release (...) Then the performance is nothing special, certainly not as good as other concerts KS played around the same time.

...I think it has some bits where KS did things I don't remember doing him exactly this way anywhere else, and it has other bits that I personally find very beautiful and / or interesting.

But still, I guess one needs to be a hardcore fan to cherish these few grains of gold...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:22 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It does have an archival value giving an idea of the concert but something of such low audio quality should not be sold for money.

Prior to it's release there was a mention it was coming from a cassette deck placed on KS gear on stage underestimating the real audio quality.
With no samples to preview (on purpose!?) and going on "trust" I got sucked with the rest, and commercially this is a copycat for those TD "official" bootleg series.

By contrast the package presentation was a nice lure and despite me defending KDM in general in this case my critique for this quick cash in is aimed to him because he coordinated the release.

Archival audio quality should circulate for free on the net as the tapes did in the 80's.

I would say what was worth releasing was already released and I am thankful for that but any new discovery (this was volume 1...) I'll treat with suspicion till I can hear it first.

Last edited by phaedra2008 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:24 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The opening section sounds like parts of "Schwanensee" combined with bits of Wolfgang Bock's "Cycles". At the end it sounds fairly reminiscent of "Mirage".

I wonder how much of this was actually played live. I believe to hear Mellotron Eight Choir, and didn't KDM himself claim that Schulze never used the Mark 5 on stage?

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Due to the poor audio I did not analyze it great detail but the Mark V had the footprint of an upright piano and fragile to move around.
However Jarre had one on stage at the Marigny theater for the 2007 Oxygene concerts.

For a one man band show I had no issues using backing tapes as long as ~60% was still played live.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
Due to the poor audio I did not analyze it great detail but the Mark V had the footprint of an upright piano and fragile to move around.
However Jarre had one on stage at the Marigny theater for the 2007 Oxygene concerts.

For a one man band show I had no issues using backing tapes as long as ~60% was still played live.

The Mk. V made everyone who was lugging it around look fragile, more like it...

I hauled two of these around in the past, and Moody Blues' Mk. 2 (which was even more awkward to carry around, and even heavier than the Mk. V)-- my back is still aching when the weather is a bit clammy.

Jarre has the Mk. 2 (stuffed with custom tapes). Poor roadies.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de