EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Pink Floyd - The Endless River

Codo
Very Cool Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:01 pm    Pink Floyd - The Endless River Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello dear Listener,

tonight we listen to the new album on air:

- Pink Floyd - The Endless River

Tune to eldoradio* 93.0 FM or switch wedensday evening , at 10 pm (local time) to our webstreamplayer.
http://www.eldoradio.de/broadcast/192.m3u

Greetings Codo
www.eldoradio.de

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool. Cool

I've heard two further tracks now on YouTube. Actually, I'm more pleased than not. It could have turned out worse...

Wink

I think it well end up on my Christmas table this year, together with KS' "Stars are Burning"...

sparrow

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Stars are Burning will be my Christmas treat as well Michael...the Floyd album is simply beautiful..candidate for my personal album of the year..Ombra is in my list..
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« sparrow » wrote:
Ombra is in my list..

Mr. Green Thanks!

electrobs

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:17 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« sparrow » wrote:
Stars are Burning will be my Christmas treat as well Michael...the Floyd album is simply beautiful..candidate for my personal album of the year..Ombra is in my list..

Finally someone else who likes the PF album!

I am not a Prog / Floyd fan, but i like the most of PF's output. Many "die-hard" PF fans want to hear another WYWH or DSOTM or PATGOD and they are not thinking how extraordinary is that we have another great (final Sad record from them.

The same happens with KS (everyone want just another Mirage or Moondawn or X) or TD (everyone want just another Phaedra, Rubycon, Encore or Logos)
(OK, KS almost did another Mirage in Japan :)

That's sad! Sad

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:04 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« electrobs » wrote:
Finally someone else who likes the PF album!

Now, really...? I'm surprised, I seem to remember more posts (both here and on FB) that said people loved it. What I've heard so far I personally found very enjoyable, too...

« electrobs » wrote:
I am not a Prog / Floyd fan, but i like the most of PF's output. Many "die-hard" PF fans want to hear another WYWH or DSOTM or PATGOD and they are not thinking how extraordinary is that we have another great (final Sad record from them.

Now, the fact of some final album alone wouldn't necessarily turn it into a great one; then again, the fact that it comes so late in their career of course doesn't necessarily turn it into a bad one, either...

Wink

« electrobs » wrote:
The same happens with KS (everyone want just another Mirage or Moondawn or X) or TD (everyone want just another Phaedra, Rubycon, Encore or Logos)
(OK, KS almost did another Mirage in Japan Smile

That's sad! Sad

Well, I also regret those expectations; however if an artist or a band decides to change his style or develop it further, it depends if the new style he arrives at is great in it's own right - or not. Both happened in the cases of once succesful artists, and sometimes it even happened several times throughout their career, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse...

Oh, btw. - sorry to say so but in my book what KS did on "Big in Japan" (except using the original sequence from "Crystal Lake") had nothing to do with "Mirage" at all...

Wink

Last edited by BruecknerAmbient on Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:10 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« electrobs » wrote:
[...] The same happens with KS (everyone want just another Mirage or Moondawn or X) or TD (everyone want just another Phaedra, Rubycon, Encore or Logos)
(OK, KS almost did another Mirage in Japan Smile

That's sad! Sad

Well, perhaps it's not the same music but the same sensations the listeners had when they were listening to said albums for the first time. Or a quality standard, musically, aesthetically, technically perhaps?

I for one do not mind albums that tap the vein and try to capture some kind of essence, of *spirit*.

I don't like flat-footed copies just for the sake of it, though.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
electrobs

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:52 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The best opinion that i found on The Endless River was that it's OK but never should happens ... Maybe i need to read / search more Smile

Regarding Mirage - i wrote "almost" Smile - OK it was quite far even from "almost" Smile

softroom
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Listening to Endless River at the moment and really enjoying it, in spite of the kazoo.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
thirdsystem

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Electrobs,

From the "official" Endless River thread in the new releases section.....posted last Monday....

« thirdsystem » wrote:
Fourth listen in and I am enjoying it.

Going to get right into the CD then blow my mind with the 5.1 Blu-Ray Smile

There are several mentions on the now playing thread, including this one...

« thirdsystem » wrote:
« electrobs » wrote:
The Endless River (Finally!!! :)

I like it very much!

Thank You PF for this big final step!

R.I.P. Richard!!! Sad

Well said. I am enjoying it also.

Wink

They played most of the album on Planet Rock last night whilst I was cooking, sounded absolutely wonderful on my Pure DAB kitchen radio. Loving it Smile

Joerg
Very Cool Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:20 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Finally, I got to listen to "The Endless River".
I must say, I had verly low expectations. A good friend (whose opinion I value) had told me before, what an utter piece of s*** this was.
But...

I think it is really wonderful. A collection of many little gems, with some clear references to old classic tracks, but yet more than a bunch of citations.
Somehow, this seems to be very adequate as a final album.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I totally agree.

Obviously it isn't a brand new and proper Pink Floyd album. It's nothing more (and nothing less) that music from the Division Bell recording sessions. It could easily be a bonus CD for a possible The Division Bell reedition.

And all in all, it's good music. I like it.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:11 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Last week I received my copy and gave it 3 listens before forming an opinion.

I went straight for the Bluray disc and first watched the Extras which were 3-4 b/w amateur quality recordings from the studio sessions, nothing amazing so I moved onto the 5.1ch PCM audio mix.

The anticipation was great mainly because it is meant to be the last PF ever.

This Swansong album tries to capture all the classic PF styles into one album with emphasis on WYWH and DSOM but Echoes and The Wall influences are more than present...
A pleasant album lacking grab factor, the first listen I paused it twice to answer the phone which I don't normally do if what I watch/listen to grabs my attention.

It was clear for decades that PF would/could never produce a sequel to any of their classic albums making me wonder why try now?

Loyal fans pushed this album to #1 before it was released and I dare say a lot will be disappointed keeping their thoughts to themselves.

It's not an album I'll feel like playing over and over the next decade because it sounds and feels like a collection of updated spare tracks, just nice background music, perhaps Relics vol.2 .

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:30 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think this album will be the album that I will listen to more than other PF album, except Meddle & Ummagumma

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

One of the best 'requiems' I have heard so far

Great CD!

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de