EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

New Klaus Schulze album 2015

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:39 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

A musician is on the road, playing live before the audience. A composer tells stories, he conducts the notes. There are those who simple are music, or simply make music and they are authentic. It is what counts in my view. But anyways, there is no need to categorize skills. We simply like it or not.
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« xxx440Hz » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:

Commercial success is what made KS lose his way... white nose powder, expensive gear, Porsches, p*rn starlets, and ultimately booze... success can be quite a burden when you're young and believe yourself to be immortal (and your success to be ever-lasting).

Stephen

Well. I don't understand this one. Did really KS have success?

In the 1970s and early 1980s? Yes, definitely. And not only locally or nationally. Unfortunately, it was more of the "easy come, easy go" kind.

After that there wasn't much he could keep hanging onto. Past glory.

« xxx440Hz » wrote:
[...] Or perhaps you mean that KS lost his soul when he uses synths.[...]

Bollocks.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
stevepalmer
One of the Coolest Member

wales.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:07 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think there's a strong argument to say that some creative people who are not "gifted" or even particularly able are nonetheless able to present their art in a way that reaches out to an audience. KS is undoubtedly one of those. He may not be technically gifted according to some, but what he creates is wonderful. You can't listen to "X" and not think - this was created by somebody who reached inside and found something extraordinary. An analogy in the world of visual art might be Henri Rousseau, who had no obvious "talent" except the ability to paint wonderful imaginary worlds.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:19 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

In most cases creative people do what they feel then others spend years trying to "decode" something that was never there, hidden messages, technique, reverse engineer it to fit in some pigeonhole, basically treat it like an evolved language scholars try to shove into a modern day grammar structure...

Same with my comment, Artist was a superlative because KS did not follow any musical convention, what was in his head could not be freed using existing guidelines, so he created his own methods.

And let's not forget Vangelis who always had some customised gear to access his sounds instead of him learning how to use some computer comands/interface.

While Vangelis' (symphonic, melodic) music was transcribed to score for orchestras' to play with him, I would be curious to see how say, an Audentity score would look like Shocked

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« stevepalmer » wrote:
[...] You can't listen to "X" and not think - this was created by somebody who reached inside and found something extraordinary. [...]

When litening to "X" I can't help thinking this album sounds megalomaniacal thanks to lots of white powder.

Schulze definitely was gifted, and agreed he created some beautiful albums that inspired me immensely -- but he had shot his last shot relatively quickly, with nothing much to follow.

Which is 38 years of musical drought.

Stephen

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:40 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

X was a great KS opus, but your passion criticizing KS because you hate KDM seems endless.
So to be fair, feel free to name artists or musicians who have produced consistent good albums over a 40 year span, any musical style & even more relevant if EM, I can't think of any.

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
X was a great KS opus, but your passion criticizing KS because you hate KDM seems endless.[...]

If I were to criticize KDM, I would be criticizing KDM and call a spade a spade. I am criticizing KS here so please try not to mix these things up, will you?

I indulge myself the luxury *not* to like things everybody seems to embrace just because it's common sense not to dismiss them. My opinion is as articulate as can be, please feel free to differ.

You seem to believe I was pretty daft, don't you?

Stephen

PS: I do not hate KDM. I just think he is a bloody twat -- there is plenty of evidence for that if you bother to read closely.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
« phaedra2008 » wrote:
X was a great KS opus, but your passion criticizing KS because you hate KDM seems endless.

« dronescape » wrote:
If I were to criticize KDM, I would be criticizing KDM and call a spade a spade. I am criticizing KS here so please try not to mix these things up, will you?

My text seems right, KS=criticism, KDM=hate.

« dronescape » wrote:
I indulge myself the luxury *not* to like things everybody seems to embrace just because it's common sense not to dismiss them. My opinion is as articulate as can be, please feel free to differ.

That's fine, we do this a lot here but without the twat & megalomaniac which imply deeper issues.

quote="dronescape"]You seem to believe I was pretty daft, don't you?
Stephen

Definitely not daft, just acting that way.
I admire your knowledge, wit, dry sense of humor and music, but the negativity tends to attenuate the good stuff.

« dronescape » wrote:
PS: I do not hate KDM. I just think he is a bloody twat -- there is plenty of evidence for that if you bother to read closely.

Don't need that, I've been corresponding with him on and off since 1985 and found him very amiable.

But what I learned about KDM is if he's asked daft questions he'll reply in kind or sharper, so yeah, a short fused man, it appears he's not alone.

PS.
Just exchanging differences, my red buttons: CDr, mp3 Smile

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« xxx440Hz » wrote:
Let's continue to discuss with this level of quality. Smile

That would be desirable. However, in case of KS I fear I personally have said all I have to say about him already, and repeatedly...

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
(...) I would be curious to see how say, an Audentity score would look like Shocked

Well, if we would consider this seriously, I guess "Audentity" could be translated into an orchestral score - at least better than, say, "Timewind" or "Mirage" (...or any other of KS' improvisation based analogue albums).
It could, because thanks to the contributions of Bloss and Tiepold, it has more structure and "classical" leanings already. However, even if it could be done, there might be not much point to it, because it's perfect as it is and wouldn't gain much from the treatment.

With the "sampling phase" albums, though, it might be a different thing (I repeatedly thought) - unlike KS 70ies and some of his early 80ies work, these albums rather suffer from their specific sound rather than fascinating by it. But their structures are intricate, complex and quite fascinating, and would probably really come alive when performed by (able and motivated) classical instrumentalists; I think of something similar like the way Brand, Brauer & Frick translated their techno tracks to modern classical / avantgarde ensemble music. If I could fund such an endeavour, I would love to set out to realize it...

« dronescape » wrote:
« stevepalmer » wrote:
[...] You can't listen to "X" and not think - this was created by somebody who reached inside and found something extraordinary. [...]

When litening to "X" I can't help thinking this album sounds megalomaniacal thanks to lots of white powder.

The music is great - or at least not worse than any of his previous albums; I think the "megalomania" notion only comes up when You look at the titles (maybe), but as You probably know, music comes always first in KS' case, and titles are invented when needed for a release; as most of us will agree, KS' music never was easily to pigeonhole, and also most of the time somewhat "demanding" (...at least in the sense of "weird and not easily digestable"). So isn't it a rather obvious marketing strategy to associate this music with other (well known) weird and not easily digestable characters or their work, like Nietzsche, Trakl etc.? I think it's a rather clever idea, and not megalomanic at all. Remember the French gave him an award for "Timewind" which was percieved as "serious music" because the Wagner allusions? Of course Klaus' music never had anything to do with Wagner if You look closer (...and that's good, because I don't especially like Wagner Razz )
So, if the trick worked in 1975, why shouldn't he try it again in 1978? That's just common marketing, anyone else had tried the same in his place.

As we all know, the music of X originally was recorded as the soundtrack of a lousy and boring American animal horror "thriller" - a job a professional musician would accept to make a living, which is nothing worth mentioning, but I guess nothing that deservs any criticism...

« dronescape » wrote:
Schulze definitely was gifted, and agreed he created some beautiful albums that inspired me immensely -- but he had shot his last shot relatively quickly, with nothing much to follow.

Which is 38 years of musical drought.

I think he did a great lot of interesting music later on; not as good (or relevant) as in his prime, true. But (at least to me) he came up with much more than "nothing much"...

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
So to be fair, feel free to name artists or musicians who have produced consistent good albums over a 40 year span, any musical style & even more relevant if EM, I can't think of any.

I thought the same thing; and I guess it's true for most of the big names from the 70ies. Then again, there still might be some, I'm not sure - what about King Crimson, for example? Keith Jarrett? Laurie Anderson? Brian Eno? Maybe...

And some EM musicians managed to deliver consistent (or even rising) quality for about 20 years by now, maybe there's a chance that they can keep it up the next 20 years, too (Stephen, we are watching You... Wink ).

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

If you want an example of a very lengthy, musically adventurous career, then I could hardly do better than point in the direction of Nigel Shaw & Carolyn Hillyer.

To return to KS… I've been listening to music for 35+ years now, and I've come to the stage where I can look back and decide which albums, for me, really stand out. I think over that period of time the lesser albums slip away and the true greats do stand out. So, for instance, all the Yes albums up to '77 still stand out, as do the first four Mike Oldfield albums. Looking back over Klaus' career, pretty much every album from '75 to '82 is one I can return to time after time and get as much enjoyment from as I always did. Those albums still have the wow factor. They have lasted.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:52 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Nigel Shaw & Carolyn Hillyer are folk/New Age musicians I don't have in my collection but discogs list some 11 albums between 1991-2002, and even if that tripled it may not be the best comparison to KS god/bad 40+ years career span.

I fully agree the best KS was in the late 70's which seems to have been the best decade for all prog/EM acts, so whoever came up with the "golden era" knew what they were talking about :)

I just had a quick look at the Ultimate Edition sorting it by years and it contains almost 40 tracks from that period totaling about 20 hours, all thanks to KDM.

That's why I say money talks and bullshit walks when people slam KDM, all KS's music (till a few years back) was facilitated by him and with KS' abstract style made it timeless, they were an odd but good team Smile

stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Nigel and Carolyn have been recording and touring up to 2016, and have an extraordinary back catalogue of music. Not the perfect comparison, but the one that came to mind when thinking about this issue.

I agree, the 70s was something of a golden era...

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Chhers, I'll check out their music, there may be more on their website, discogs is fine for a quick reference but far from complete.

Happy Birthday Steve

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
the negativity tends to attenuate the good stuff

Agreed!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
pixie_twinkle

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

FINALLY! Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Another-Wolfgang-Tiepold-Tobias-Becker/dp/B01M6V6Y8L/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479859162&sr=8-1&keywords=klaus+schulze

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2018 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2018 CBACK.de