EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Isao Tomita - Pictures At An Exhibition 1966 (trivia)

phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:55 am    Isao Tomita - Pictures At An Exhibition 1966 (trivia) Reply with quoteBack to top

Mussorgsky’s masterpiece attracted attention well outside the classical circles resulting in several prog/rock/electronic versions which once completed got left behind “for the record” like any other album.

Tomita however seems to have taken special interest in it revisiting twice some 10 years apart.

His 1975 electronic version is what we know him for but in 1966 he did an orchestral version for Osamu’s Tezuka animation Pictures at an exhibition.

The 33 mins cartoon touches on an oppressive Orwellian future reminding of Pink Floyd’s The Wall film.

But this early musical arrangement provide a good insight in how Tomita developed his trademark soundprints well before he could apply them electronically.

13 of the early experimental films have been bundled as The Astonishing Work of Osamu Tezuka with Pictures as #6.
Below is the Laser Disc release from 1991 & I note the “digital sound” hype for a disc with scratchy optical fil mono sound Laughing

A DVD cleaned up version was released in 2009 with the audio turned into simulated stereo and heavily denoised relative to the LD version.

And this is what sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLRVjCBvf1E

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Dan, very interesting!

Funny how the animation influences the way you experience the music ...

I had a similar experience with Disney's Fantasia (1940) which imo is a perfect mix of classical music and fabulous animation.

I also remember the first time I listened to ELP's version (which was my first introduction to Mussorgsky's music) and my reaction afterwards: "what is this". It took me a while before I started to appreciate the music ...

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

LOL, I trimmed the post text a bit but Tezuka's Pictures with Tomita's score was intended as Tezuka's answer to Disney's Fantasia...

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:11 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Which reminds me, I should get me a copy of Pictures which has not been tampered with -- the Dolby Surround mixes of the early 1990s were dreadful.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing the Dolby Surround series were dreadful, luckily only a handful of albums were reissued in the series and are easily avoided due to the distinctive artwork.

Even so, there are still many reissues to chose from

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:17 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Most interesting history lesson, Dan - thanks for sharing! Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de