EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Michael Brückner & Cilia di Ponte-Twenty​-​Five Lig

CyclicalDreams
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:31 am    Michael Brückner & Cilia di Ponte-Twenty​-​Five Lig Reply with quoteBack to top

Bandcamp: https://cyclicaldreams.bandcamp.com/...years-cyd-0056

CD-r Edition - Cyclical Dreams: https://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00DUCCHT&pp=1

CD-r Edition - Michael Brückner BC Page: https://michaelbrueckner.bandcamp.co...2-cd-r-edition

All products: https://kunaki.com/msales.asp?PublisherId=173070&pp=1

Michael Brückner: synthesizer, keyboards, electronics, processed vocals on "Dhuska"
Cilia di Ponte: vocals, spoken words, piano, keyboards

All music by Cilia di Ponte & Michael Brückner 2002 - 2022, except:
"Are You Ready To Fly" (all versions) music by Cilia di Ponte
"Twenty-Five Light Years" and "Dhuska" by Michael Brückner

"The download includes 8 bonus tracks"

When Marks And Figures Cease To Be

When marks and figures cease to be
For every creature's thoughts the key,
When they will even kiss or sing
Beyond the sage's reckoning,
When life to freedom will attain,
and freedom in... more
credits
released June 17, 2022

Artwork: Cyclical Dreams
Photography: Amp Puttipong

www.facebook.com/amp.puttipong/

www.instagram.com/amp_nip/

www.lomography.co.th/homes/amp_puttipong

Cyclical Dreams T-shirts you can get it here: www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/Cyclical-Dreams-Logo-T-Shirt-by-CyclicalDreams/113462291.IJ6L0?asc=u

CD-r editions all products: https://kunaki.com/msales.asp?PublisherId=173070&pp=1

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

EM reviewer Sylvain Lupari made the effort to give "Twenty-Five Light Years" a close listen and writing about his impressions in this new review, with his usual elloquence! Smile

This time Sylvain says he's "divided" about the album - and perhaps that's the case for other listeners as well. In fact, I rather expected this album to polarize my little audience.

After the album has been around long enough for everyone to have a listen, I'm curious what others think about it - so if You have an opinion, please let me know...

Oh, and there's one point I'd like to mention:
There's definitely more "Brückner" on the album than Sylvain suspects (but for a reason he couldn't guess...)

Laughing

https://www.synthsequences.com/post/br%C3%BCckner-di-ponte-twenty-five-light-years-2022

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Stephan Schelle recently wrote a review of "Twenty-Five Light Years" for his online magazine MUSIKZIRKUS.

You can read his original (German) review here, or my (rough) English translation below.

http://www.musikzirkus-magazin.de/dateien/Pages/CD_Kritiken/elektronik/michael_brueckner_and_cilia_di_ponte_twenty_five_light_years.htm

PLEASE NOTE: In the German versions are a few misunderstandings regarding the content of the three different "editions" of the album. I have corrected that in the translation though (Stephan may update his review later).

To make it clear, here's the correct info:

1. Download from Cyclical Dreams = "Main" album plus bonus tracks

2. CD-R edition from Cyclical Dreams = only "Main" album, 3 minutes shorter (but less expensive)

3. 2 CD-R edition from my Bandcamp page (merch section) = "Main" album plus bonus tracks, download included

Michael Brückner & Cilia Di Ponte - Twenty-Five Light Years
SynGate (2022)
(17 pieces, 155:03 minutes playing time)

The electronic musician Michael Brückner and the studied pianist and singer Cilia di Ponte have been making music for 25 years. So far, however, no collaborative album has been released, instead there have been occasional pieces on Michael's albums that the two have composed and recorded together. Finally, it was time to release an album with songs from the years 2002 to 2022.

The album is appropriately titled "Twenty-Five Light Years" and can be purchased via Bandcamp as a CD-R (two versions) or download. The eight tracks of the actual album have running times ranging from 5:34 to 14:52 minutes of playing time.
The download and one of the CD-r editions come with another 77 minutes of bonus material from sessions recorded during lockdown in 2020. This review is based on the 2 CD-R edition available from Michael Brückner's own Bandcamp page.

The cover of this CDR version shows a spaceship in a mountain landscape and a woman reminiscent of Lara Croft. The fact that di Cilia and Michael have a sense of humour is demonstrated by a caricature-like portrait of the two in the booklet. There, they are depicted as funy aliens.

The division of duties was as follows: Michael Brückner (synthesizer, keyboards, electronics and processed vocals on "Dhuska") and Cilia di Ponte (vocals, spoken words, piano and keyboards).

Except for one track, the song "Are You Ready To Fly (Vocal Version)", Cilia di Ponte uses her voice as an instrument, providing the melody lines with her voice.

The album begins with the longest track, the 14:52-minute "A Farewell To Distant Friends". Spherical sounds, matching the futuristic cover, start this long track. They even let the synths rustle and chirp. The sound structures float slowly through the room and Cilia's bright voice creates a special atmosphere that goes very well with the electronic sounds. Klaus Schulze already proved this when he combined voice and synth with Linda Gerrard on "Farscape". Speaking of Klaus Schulze: Cilia and Michael move close to the Berlin School on the album. This also applies to the first track, in which many a timbre and sequence are reminiscent of the pioneer of electronic music, who sadly passed away this year. After six minutes, a sequencer and drum rhythm starts and brings more drive into this wonderful track.

With a playing time of 10:34 minutes, the second longest track "Tender Memories" follows. The piece begins with Cilia's voice and then the introduction of ambient sounds and light rhythmic patterns. A soft, floating track that conveys peace.

In third position comes the instrumental version of "Are You Ready To Fly". A very beautiful, melodic piece. At the end of the album there is a rearranged, vocal version of the piece. With pulsating and rhythmic sequences, the eight-minute "Seeking Refuge" then presents itself in the first minutes. After a good two minutes, it becomes more spherical again and Cilia's voice pushes itself into the foreground once more. There is something sublime and hymn-like about it. In the last third, it becomes more rhythmic again and Cilia's voice also provides unusual sounds at one point or another. But that's what makes this track special.

"Sunturn Tune" runs 9:31 minutes. Mystical sounds introduce the track, which lightens up after about a minute and develops into a melodic piece with a gentle driving groove after just over three minutes. A hypnotic number.

Shimmering synths then move into the 7:10 minute title track. This rhythm is also the motor of the piece on which the two then place a melody line. The 5:34-minute "Dhuska" is futuristic again. Here - due to the processed voices - memories of Klaus Schulze's digital sample phase come up.

The 6:23-minute "Vor einem geheimen Wort" is a partly surreal electronic track with piano interludes and a very beautiful melody line towards the end. At the end, Cilia recites the poem "Wenn nicht mehr Zahlen und Figuren" by the German early romantic Novalis (whose real name is Georg Philipp Friedrich von Hardenberg). The booklet contains an English translation of the poem.

The album then ends with the vocal version of "Are You Ready To Fly". The two have rearranged this version and so the piece gets a pensive note at the beginning through piano and spoken text. In terms of atmosphere, it reminds me of Vangelis' "Blade Runner". But as soon as the rhythm picks up after a good 40 seconds and Cilia sings, the whole thing has a gentle pop appeal.

The second silver disc then offers eight bonus pieces with running times from 1:52 to 27:40 minutes in length. Michael says about this: "The sessions that form the bonus part of the release are also from 2020. They are simply as they were spontaneously created and largely unedited - but I think there are many nice "scenes" on them, and in part you can hear passages again and again that later appear on the actual album - or pages of both of us where it gets slightly bluesy or jazzy, which are otherwise rather rare to hear from us."

The pieces are titled "The 2020 Lockdown Session Part 1" to "Part 7" and "Cilia's Piano Improvisation 2020". There are wonderful floating sounds like in "Part 1" or rhythmic, melodic ones like in the grandiose "Part 2". Also included on the bonus disc are very beautiful piano-driven numbers like "Part 5" and the piano improvisation by Cilia. Things get jazzier in the 23-minute "Part 7".

It's a good thing that Michael Brückner has searched the archives for pieces he recorded together with Cilia di Ponte and released them on "Twenty-Five Light Years". But I definitely recommend buying the 2-CDR version (or the download), as this way you can enjoy the Lockdown Sessions.

Stephan Schelle, July 2022

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2022 CBACK.de